HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

Question

unsure about new job

by 10yearitguy / February 25, 2014 8:08 AM PST

I just started a new job as a network admin. They flew me out for training on their procedures...now what their software is, is a very in depth ticketing system...and a very big brother approach to time sheets. While working on a project or issue, in the ticket, we add our time and document every single thing we do, and a motto of if it isn't a ticket, then you haven't worked on it....I am thinking of not staying with this job, I don't need to be babysat or watched over constantly, and in fact, trying to work while trying to document what I am doing is taking time away from actual work. Would you stay at a job like this? Am I over reacting, it is a Microsoft shop, maybe that is part of it???

Any advice is greatly appreciated as I have never worked in an environment this monitored before, I always do my work, I don't mind writing down steps, but to track every single minute of what I am doing I find is a bit much. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: unsure about new job
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: unsure about new job
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Actually not a bad idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2014 8:18 AM PST
In reply to: unsure about new job

If you don't have a ticket, don't record your time, then you didn't work in it.

Sounds like bean counter heaven. Hard on workers but it's da' rules so play by them.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Look at this way...
by Willy / February 26, 2014 12:52 AM PST

X-time of any employees working on a project gets billed to the job or the person paying the bills. Further, if a screw-up occurs they can track it back and say on X-day(time stamp) this employee is responsible or HAS the responsibility thrust on them. In this regard, don't be willy-nilly, do what concerns you. Sorry, but that's better than having RFID on your tail or someone that walks with you, yeah I had that.

You're in the big leagues now get a grip its a new world out there. Now back to my TV dinner, beans galore entree.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
I'd quit, but that's just me and may not apply to you
by pamelad / February 28, 2014 1:10 PM PST

I suggest quitting that job if you can find another job before quitting. At least you have the job for now, which will help you find another one.

Micro-management like what you describe is suppressive, counter-productive, and hinders innovation. How can you be productive and creative when your attention is focused on documenting every little task, presumably just to keep treading water to keep the job? Sure, a brief summary of tickets can be okay and expected, but extreme detail required by management will feel uncomfortable to most motivated employees, and does not generally indicate an innovative organizational style.

Also, you'll probably find most co-workers around you are unmotivated since they choose (or have to) work there.

Collapse -
Answer
While Looking For Another Job, ASk Questions
by johnc6 / March 2, 2014 11:11 PM PST

Keep the job and continue to look for another if you continue to be dissatisfied. In the mean time, ask questions from co-workers on how they track/record time in the system. They are probably a good source for protocol, expectations, etc.

In addition, ask why the data is collected and what it is being used for. It may be less nefarious than you think. There may be a problem with a product the company supports and/or sells and they may be trying to collect data on bugs/problems to plan upgrades, new versions, etc. Additionally, they may be looking for how much time is being spent on supporting product 'x' to determine if they are getting the kind of return on their investment for product 'x', the company was hoping for.

If these are the kind of things the company has intended on using the ticket system for, find out if they actually have people working on it, who to talk to, etc. Depending on whether there is anyone actually working on "mining" the ticketing system's data, you may find yourself your next job right within the company!

There are hundreds of good reasons for trouble-ticketing systems, as well as a couple dozen bad reasons for them. Everyone familiar with the bad reasons are quick to point them out and probably have been "dinged", or know someone who has been "dinged" by one of the bad reasons. However, when used properly, the ticketing system can be an invaluable tool to companies who properly use the data they contain. That's usually why companies invest in these systems to begin with.

Collapse -
Answer
Quit if you're unhappy
by cayleepotie / March 6, 2014 1:16 AM PST

I think this is a general issue with giant enterprises. It's not going to be healthy because you'll always end up fighting with the system instead of doing work.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.