Computer Help forum

General discussion

unsupported format opening image

WINXP SP1&2
Intel P4 & Intel Motherboard
Quicktime Picture Viewer 6.5.2

Error message : "couldn't display *.jpg because it is an unsupported format"

File was sent to me from another computer. Made in a scanner. The scanner name and model unknown to me but maybe of an older type.

Anything I can do to open this file?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: unsupported format opening image
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: unsupported format opening image
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
try right clicking the file

In reply to: unsupported format opening image

and selectin "open with" if the program you want doesn't appear in the list, browse to the directory where it resides...

an excellent image viewer is irfanview-tucows download page

Collapse -
re try right clicking the file

In reply to: try right clicking the file

..tried that, ..in windows picture viewer, paint, quick time (which is default to .jpg files) and adobe.
Turned off security in properties. Nada.

One suggestion mentioned could be using different code to produce file on another computer and it's incompatility.

Collapse -
one nice thing about irfanview

In reply to: re try right clicking the file

when it finds a file with a 'problem' it offers to fix it....

usually succeeds Happy

Collapse -
you're right...

In reply to: one nice thing about irfanview

...irfanview opened the image without a problem. Good little program. Thanks Jonah.
Bugs me why Quicktime or windows picture viewer wouldn't open it and yet a 800 odd kb Irfanview would!!?

Collapse -
Why some programs won't open an image when IrfanView will

In reply to: you're right...

Most programs have a relatively limited number of file types (those expected up-to-3 character file extension abbreviations). Plus, if someone has accidentally mis-named the extension (IE. it is a BMP and someone named it JPG, or it is a JPG and someone calls it GIF ... or even no extension, whatever) those other programs can't figure out what the heck is wrong. They don't provide for errors in the file, which just might be a simple error, like if there is a character count mismatch.

IrfanView, being a very versatile image reader (over 60 formats) makes no assumption like that. In fact, if it figures out that the file extension is misnamed, it will offer to rename it correctly for you.
So, IrfanView, having versatility of reading many different file types, also provides for slight errors in the format.

Note: XnView is capable of reading over 400 graphic types - XnView is bigger and slower, though.

I have used both, I like IrfanView for its speed and small size. You actually don't even need to install it, you can run it from a floppy.

Collapse -
versatility of small programs

In reply to: Why some programs won't open an image when IrfanView will

Thanks for the 'why'. Always amazes me to find small programs that do some things better and yet programs you think would do it all have a glaring gap (or two).

Thanks CT

Collapse -
Small isn't necessarily better

In reply to: versatility of small programs

(but don't tell that to my wife. :D)

Those other programs might have gotten bigger by features being added, since those other programs generally have many more overall capabilities;
OR
they may have gotten bigger via bloat, where the programmer doesn't spend the time to reduce code size.

But in the case of IrfanView, the programmer (Irfan Skiljan) seems to care, and does try to keep his code size down, and feature count up.

One person who really does a GREAT job of keeping his code size down, by writing his code in Assembly Language, is Steve Gibson, of Gibson Research. He goes way out of his way to minimize his own code and does more with <40kBytes than you can imagine.
Steve is the guy who is big on Internet Security. Check out his many projects and free tools.

Collapse -
amazing lot of stuff here

In reply to: Small isn't necessarily better

Ha ..a like that one, it's quality not quantity .. though both is better.

Very interesting sites. My tech abilities may be a bit daunted by it all but I can see a few things I will have a look at. Always wary about just how secure my system may be. I'm running Zone Alarm Pro and Avg Free. Have Spy bot and Ad Aware and keep everything up to date, including WinXp Updates. Just the other day out of the blue I had Zone Alarm notify me of a request asking for permission to send a PIN no. somewhere. What?! No! Quickly checking 'deny' and cutting my connection. It does leave you feeling unsure.

I'm not plagued by pop-ups but Zone Alarm seems to be blocking an awful lot of attempted intrusions. Makes you wonder how successfully.

What would be the best of these programs to use in my situation?

I also have many different sound orientated programs for decoding, editing, recording and playing music which also leaves doubts about vulnerabilities, some very small some well known such as Winamp and RealPlayer etc.

I'll start by looking at Leaktest.

Cheers ..CT

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) you're welcome, glad to help :)

In reply to: you're right...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!