Windows Legacy OS forum

Alert

Unresponsive keyboard and mouse!

Ok so it all started when I download uninstaller pro to remove a unwanted application. All worked fine until I allowed uninstaller pro to assist with my registry. It was supposed to update or something don't really remember what it said.(which I'm very upset with myself for not paying closer attention like I should) anyways when it prompted me to restart my PC I did and when It came back to the login in screen my keyboard was unresponsive. However my mouse was accessible so I try'ed for a system restore (another big mistake) after the restore finish and returned to the welcome screen both my mouse and keyboard were unresponsive. Oddly however my keyboard works just before windows login screen pops up, I have try'ed everything I can think of to fix this issue such as; unplugging both and plugging back in, restart after restart, changing both mouse and keyboard with new ones, and even tapping f8 to pull up restore still no luck I have no restore Cd so i can't even try that option Please if anyone can offer any advice to this issue It is very much appreciated thank you.

My PC: 2005 Compaq Presario:OS Windows Xp Media center edition
Keyboard: Ps2 and USB model (ps2 is my everyday keyboard. USB is new model I purchased)
Mouse: USB and ps2 (other way around with mouse USB is my everyday mouse and ps2 mouse was purchased as replacement)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unresponsive keyboard and mouse!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unresponsive keyboard and mouse!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This happened to me.

In reply to: Unresponsive keyboard and mouse!

Many years ago, Logitech issued a keyboard mouse drive that caused such an issue. It was not easy to remove but you can try the usual and hope.

You need to boot SAFE MODE and hope the driver didn't load. Now off to DEVICE MANAGER and "show all devices" then remove all keyboards and mice there.

If you are lucky, it will work on the next boot.

If that fails, it gets deep fast. I have never found a good article about what I do next but http://djlizard.net/2007/04/30/230/ is close enough. I used the same concepts there but on the keyboard entries.
Bob

Collapse -
Confused

In reply to: This happened to me.

Thank you for your reply. SadlyI am not computer expert so I'm still lost on where to begin. I have read the article but still don't understand I can't use my mouse or keyboard to type how could I check the device manager??

Collapse -
I offered a basic item.

In reply to: Confused

Windows XP has been around for over a decade so I rarely write more than "boot to Safe Mode." You must tell the forum how much you know and if you didn't research how to do some of the basic Windows procedures. That is, if I type "How to get to safe mode?" on google I see plenty of pages about that.

Also, Device Manager is again a basic Windows skill item. Back to research "How do I get to the device manager?" on google and then "How do I remove a device in device manager?" finds lots of pages.

If this is not for you then use the support system you have used in the past to get your PC fixed.
Bob

Collapse -
Understand

In reply to: I offered a basic item.

Sorry I understand what safe mode and device manager is but it's like I said when I enter safe mode the mouse an keyboard lock on the lock up screen which means I can never enter to pull up the device manager. The mouse and keyboard work fine running on Bios however when it comes to them running on windows they freeze. I guess what I'm saying is I don't know how to use the instructions you gave me because my keyboard and mouse are unresponsive no matter what mode you enter.

Collapse -
Then it gets even deeper.

In reply to: Understand

There are fine articles about editing the registry and files when we put this HDD on another PC. I'm going to supply a link about it but this doesn't mean you are ready to do this.

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=load+a+registry+from+external+hard+drive

We can also recover the user's files by booting some other OS from a Live CD.

Many folk I know can't do this work so they pull the HDD, install a new blank HDD, install the OS, drivers and put the old HDD into some USB HDD case to copy their files back in.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.