Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Unread Email Message Notification

by donvtx1300c / July 27, 2008 4:19 AM PDT

Hello there!

For some unknown reason, after two years of owning the same PC with the same OS, I now have a link under my user icon on the Welcome page of Windows XP home version that tells me I have unread email messages. If I click on the link, it opens up a little balloon that shows the Hotmail email address that has unread messages.

I check my email several times a day, so I don't need this notification. I also like my desktop and screens as clear and clean as they can be, so although this is certainly not a major issue, it just annoys me to death!

So...can someone please tell me how to turn this "unread email notification" off? Also - if anyone has any ideas as to how this started in the first place, please let me know (so I can make sure it doesn't start happening again).

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unread Email Message Notification
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unread Email Message Notification
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I asked google.
by Kees Bakker / July 27, 2008 4:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
Removing welcome screen email notification
by donvtx1300c / July 27, 2008 4:30 AM PDT
In reply to: I asked google.

Thanks, Kees...I did see that, but I'm trying to avoid installing something (such as this Power Toy thing) to fix this.

I mean...in two years it's never done this. So what changed? And how can I change it back?

I was hoping there was a quick and easy fix.

Thanks again for your reply, though!

Collapse -
The quick and easy fix ...
by Kees Bakker / July 27, 2008 4:38 AM PDT

is to do the recommended registry change yourself in stead of having TweakUI do it for you.

And probably you'll never know why it happened suddenly. I see it on kids screen for their hotmail (and possibly even gmail) account, and I'm rather sure they don't know how to activate it, so it must be some default or done by those programs. And I don't see it on my own screen for my own Outlook Express, and I'm sure I don't know how to activate it if you would like it (but I don't, as I'm used to the envelop in the system notification area to signal new post).

So everybody is happy here. And if somebody isn't I turn to google. Or this forum ...

Ib our case it could even be turned on by downloading SP3, or opening a new email account, or Microsoft changing something in hotmail. If you care about these things, you're making life more difficult then it needs to be. Just relax.

Kees

Collapse -
Notification is now off
by donvtx1300c / July 27, 2008 4:56 AM PDT

Kees,

LOL! Love your sense of humor!

Since I'm not comfortable getting into the registry, I went ahead and installed Tweak UI, and turned it off from there. It worked like a charm (I just hate installing things when I don't have to!).

So thanks again for your help, and now I can "relax."

(Although it really bugs me that I still don't know what started it in the first place!)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.