Computer Help forum

General discussion

Unpartitioning a Hard Drive

Right now I have my slave hard drive split in half and set as drives g and f. In another forum I found how to delete my partition g and so I did, but it didn't make one big drive. Instead it deleted the g and says that it is unallocated. How do I transfer g's disk space to f so that I have one big hard drive again?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unpartitioning a Hard Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unpartitioning a Hard Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: unpartitioning

In reply to: Unpartitioning a Hard Drive

You need special partitioning software to manage partitions like this. The standard one is Partition Magic from Symantec. But you'll be able to find cheaper shareware on the usual download sites.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
You can do this in Computer Management. . .

Right click the drive and follow the prompts, or click the Help button. Easy.

Collapse -
Two methods

The first, is to delete all partitions on a drive, and then create a new partition(s). This is the age old method, and it IS destructive, meaning you WILL lose data by doing this.

The second is to use programs such as Partition Magic which can resize partitions. While it's claimed to be non-destructive, or without data loss, that's not always the case. There is always a small chance that something will go wrong, which is always mentioned somewhere in the fine print no one ever reads. Out of probably around 100 or so uses of Partition Magic across several different systems, I've only had it destroy a partition table one time, but once can be enough.

So, just as if you were going to do more traditional partitioning, make sure you back up any important data BEFORE you start. Otherwise, you have only yourself to blame.

Collapse -
Is there any data on "G:" that you need to save ?

If not, you should be able to use "Disk Management" under Computer Management to delete the remaining logical drive. Once all the logical drives have been removed... then you can reallocate the entire space to one partition, format it and of course use it.

Let us know.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
IT WORKS

In reply to: Is there any data on "G:" that you need to save ?

Thanks for the help! I had to unpartition both g and f then partition them as one.

Collapse -
(NT) Fixed ...Good to hear ! Thanks for the feedback.

In reply to: IT WORKS

Collapse -
More information

In reply to: Is there any data on "G:" that you need to save ?

Hi - would you be able to give me more specific steps on how to what you are talking about? I have found the Disk Management section but don't want to do anything before I fully understand what you are suggesting. Thanks!

Collapse -
Tell what drive letters are in Disk Management

In reply to: More information

so we talk specifics.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Drive letters in Disk Management

In reply to: Tell what drive letters are in Disk Management

Ah yes, that might be helpful. I have a 'C' and 'D' drive and I just bought an external hard drive 'G.' The 'C' drive only has 258 MG left (out of 16 GB) and the 'D' drive has 21 GB (of 21 GB). The external drive is 80 GB. I recently lost all my data on the 'D' drive and I'm trying to recover that now and put it on the 'G' drive.

Collapse -
Before we start .. exactly what are we trying

In reply to: Drive letters in Disk Management

to accomplish ?

If you're trying to have a larger C: drive by deleting "D:" partition and reallocayting the empty space to C:, we may have to take a different approach than used for the previous poster.

Let me know.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Deleting D drive

In reply to: Before we start .. exactly what are we trying

Yes, I think that would be the best approach at this time (delete D partition). Since I got the external drive I will move my personal files to it. Thanks.

Ruth

Collapse -
Ok...one more question...have you used all the disk space

In reply to: Deleting D drive

on D: or is it completely empty now ?

The reason I ask it may be better to move something...esp DATA off C: to D: to give you space on C:. Deleteing the partition and making it avalable to add the free space to C: is easy. The problem is I don't think you can expand C: to fill the free unallocated empty space while running Windows off the C: drive. There are third-party software programs like Partition Magic and Acronis Disk Director that can do that but I'm 99% sure that Windows cannot do perform that task on an active partition running the OS.

If you've got a moment ...please take a look thru the posts in the Storage Forum...putting data on external hard disk drives is far far from bullet proof and absolutely not the only place you want to store data you can't afford to lose.

Let me know.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Moving files...

In reply to: Ok...one more question...have you used all the disk space

The D drive is 99% free but you make a good point. Perhaps before doing anything I will move as much data off of C and put it on D. I have a lot of music and picture files that should free up some space. My other concern is that I am still trying to recover the lost data. Thank you so much for taking the time to help out. If moving files off C doesn't help... then I will be back.

Thanks again!

Ruth

Collapse -
We'll keep the light on for you

In reply to: Moving files...

VAPCMD

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.