General discussion

UNPARTITION

I am currently running windows 2000. It is partitioned into Drives: C, D and E. Each with 2gb each. I need to unpartion into one 6GB HD. How do I unpartion the Drive? I know I will lose the data.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: UNPARTITION
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: UNPARTITION
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -

Dear platynum,

You will need to format your computer, and reinstall windows.

I do not know your level of computer knowledge, so I will leave it at the simplest.

-Enter bios at the beginning of your computer boot. (del, f2, f8, f10, or f12 - it should say)

-Find the "boot order", and select the CD-ROM to first, and "C" to second.
-Put in your windows CD, and restart your computer.
-Select/permit your computer to boot from CD.
-Follow through the windows installation stepts until it asks you which drive to install windows to. Then, repeatedly delete all the drives there (usually the 'd' key - should explain how).

===IF ANYWHERE AT THIS POINT YOU ARE UNSURE OF WHAT TO DO, DO NOT CONTINUE!!! EXIT SETUP AND GO BACK INTO WINDOWS - SEEK FURTHER ASSISTANCE===

-Do this until you have one 6gb chunk called "Unpartitioned".
-Create a new partition (usually 'c' key - it should explain how)
-Once created, select it and press enter to install windows onto it.
-If the option is there to format quickly, use it, it will save you about 20 minutes.
-Allow setup to run through, then it will reboot. This time, do not let it boot from the CD, and let it run into windows.
-Follow the simple steps left, and you will have 1 "c" drive of 6gb with a clean windows on it.

Let us know if you are lost anywhere, or need further assistance.
-AInTeL

- Collapse -
Depends on what OS you are planning to use

If you just want to reinstall Win2k, you do this with the installation CD. You can probably find a utility from the drives manufacturer that will erase the drive while doing a full diagnostics test and surface scan. That might not be a bad idea with an older drive. If you post your intentions for the drive, you will likely get a better answer.

- Collapse -
If you have never done this...

you might want to take a look at this site:
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/

There is a menu down the left side that links to step by step instructions for different installation/reinstallation scenarios for the various Windows Operating Systems--including Win 2K.

The process itself is actually quite simple and painless as well as meny driven but reviewing the exact process on the site above will likely resolve questions and add confidence.

If you would rather you could also try a third party non-destructive partitioning such as Partition Magic, or V-Com's Partition Commander but for what they cost you could also get a much larger hard drive.

CNET Forums

Forum Info