HolidayBuyer's Guide

Cameras forum

General discussion

Unobtrusive good point and shoot for Africa

by MakieKendall / September 6, 2010 4:01 AM PDT

I'm going to Lesotho, in southern Africa, at the end of this month. (I lived there for six years and am going back for one last visit with dear friends and to get pictures I can keep forever.) The autofocus on my Nikon D5000 is malfunctioning, and my Panasonic DSC TZ1 pixelates on distances, so I'm looking for an unobtrusive camera $400 or less, that can get good landscape shots, portraits, and fit in a pocket. Important not to have a viewfinder because I need to be aware of what is happening around me. I don't like to feed the racist stereotype that travel in Africa is "dangerous," but as a woman traveling alone, I need to keep my wits about me wherever I am, and I know that when I'm looking through a viewfinder, I have blinders on. So a small, sharp P&S that gets high quality pictures is what I want. I don't want massive pixels, huge zooms, video, RAW, fancy bells and whistles. Just good quality images. Suggestions welcomed.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unobtrusive good point and shoot for Africa
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unobtrusive good point and shoot for Africa
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Canon S90 or Panasonic LX3?
by MakieKendall / September 6, 2010 9:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon S90 or S95

Thanks, Pistoncup! I had read those, and I continue trying to figure out which is better: the Panasonic or the Canon. I had almost decided on the Panasonic, when I read this review, which leans slightly to the Canon: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/s90.shtml

I prefer the LX3 to the LX5 because I don't want video on my P&S, I don't care about a few silly millimeters of zoom, and I'm so strapped for cash that $50 is a big deal to me.

The Canon is smaller, but lots of reviewers complain that the focus is soft, there's noise, there's luminance, and the control rings are fiddly and easy to get wrong. What worries me most is that some say it's easy to touch the back ring accidentally and to end up shooting in a mode you don't want. Have you ever had this problem with yours?

Collapse -
$400
by PistonCupChampion / September 6, 2010 2:46 PM PDT

I would have recommended the LX3?LX5, but you had set a $400 limit. The Panasonics are closer to $500. That aside and personally speaking, I would choose the Panasonics.

Collapse -
Great!
by MakieKendall / September 6, 2010 2:52 PM PDT
In reply to: $400

Amazon has the LX3 for $350 right now. So I am 90% sure that's what I want. I gather you agree?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.