Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Unnecessary desktop icons

by grandpaw7 / November 15, 2004 1:05 AM PST

Somehow, when I rearranged my desktop icons so there would be a single set in alphabatical order, I ended up with one entitled New Post that has several nonshortcut entries with dll, vx_, inf, cat, dl_, and ex_ extensions. I presume there is no need for these to be on the desktop but what should I do with them, if anything? grandpaw

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unnecessary desktop icons
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unnecessary desktop icons
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
New Post = FOLDER?
by TONI H / November 15, 2004 3:06 AM PST

with files inside? If so, right click the .exe file (or .ex_ extension), choose Properties, and see what program it came from. If there is a .txt or .tx_ file in there, right click, choose OPEN WITH NOTEPAD and read it as it probably identifies even more the program that the folder goes to.

TONI

Collapse -
Re: Unnecessary desktop icons
by Kees Bakker / November 15, 2004 3:15 AM PST

Grandpaw,

These extensions (dl_, ex_, inf) are typically for a files in a folder that contains something to install. If you don't know what it is, it's most likely safe to delete it to the recycle bin. Leave it there for a week or so, and if there are no negative side effects, delete it only then. If anything strange happens which is related to this folder being in the recycle bin, post it here with more info.

There's one thing to note. It can be (a) just a shortcut on the desktop (with an arrow), pointing to any folder on the hard disk (might be something like c:\program files\downloaded\New Post) or (b) a folder in c:\windows\desktop showing up on the desktop. If it's (a) find the location of the folder (using the right click properties of the shortcut) and delete it also; just deleting the shortcut on the desktop leaves the folder around cluttering your hard disk. If it's (b) the folder is deleted right away.

It's exactly because of this difference I NEVER put any folder or document on my desktop, only shortcuts. It needs smarter people than I am (like you) to work with folders and files on the desktop; it's much too confusing for a simple soul like me.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.