Computer Help forum

General discussion

Unmountable Boot Volume Help

by FTLOSM / March 22, 2011 12:00 AM PDT

Have a dell inspiron 530 tower with a wd 1tb hd, xp pro, was running fine shut down no issues, went to boot yesterday and got bsod "unmountable boot volume" with an error code of "Stop 0x000000ED (ox8a676030, 0xc000009c, 0x0000000, 0x0000000)".

Tried restart same error, set bios to boot from cd, put in windows xp disc ran "R" (recovery mode) then at the C prompt "chkdsk /r" but instead of running it says "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems."

I pulled the drive and hooked it up via usb/sata device to my main computer and ran the wd lifeguard diagnostics DLGDIAG on it, ran the quick test "passed", ran the extended test "pass", re-inserted it in the dell and this time replaced the sata cord as well just in case - same bsod.

I am a bit stumped, thought I had a bad drive but it seems to be passing all the wd hd software tests, figured I could get by with the windows recovery chkdsk /r or /p (neither worked), was hoping for some suggestions on what else to check or try?

I did notice via usb I couldn't see the smart info, maybe next step will be to add it into my main pc via sata and see what the smart results say for this drive altho it passed the quick and extended tests...

Thanks for any input,
Bill

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unmountable Boot Volume Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unmountable Boot Volume Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Recovery console
by windyriver / March 22, 2011 12:18 AM PDT

You might try the FIXBOOT command

Collapse -
fixboot fixmbr nogo
by FTLOSM / March 22, 2011 2:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Recovery console

I did try fixboot but still no go, even fixmbr again same bsod error, I am re-running the western digital full test with the hard drive hooked up via sata cord in my main pc, the smart status says pass and the drive is about 3/4 done with no stops or anything, will see if it passes extended test again here via sata (should but figured id try sata wise to see the smart status).

Collapse -
Use /r for repair
by Willy / March 22, 2011 3:57 AM PDT
In reply to: fixboot fixmbr nogo

Instead of chkdsk /f, use the command chkdsk /r. Now, you will also need to tell which HD to fix, so use chkdsk /r X: X=some hard drive letter

The repair is more extensive than the /f command. Use that and try as you did before either on the current PC or another as long as you address that hard drive.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
chkdsk /r was one of the first things i tried...
by FTLOSM / March 23, 2011 12:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Use /r for repair

Chkdsk /r was one of the first things I tried on this, just get
"The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems."

Still stumped as to what to try next, might just bite the bullet and save what I can thru a recovery program and reinstall windows fresh but wonder what even made this happen (like to still fix it if I can somehow)

Collapse -
Usually It's A Good Time To Get A New Hard Drive
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 23, 2011 12:29 AM PDT

Although it's possible a full reformat could work around any corrupted sectors, or other problems, the Chkdsk scan is a good indicator that things are wrong.. Yep, retrieve as much information as you can from the current disc, and maybe you could try formatting and reinstalling, but you may be best served by a new drive.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Since you can get into the ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 23, 2011 6:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
gonna try it why not..
by FTLOSM / March 23, 2011 8:12 AM PDT

gonna give this last thing a try, figure it can't hurt since right now I am still at nowhere on it... Will report back what happens good or bad.

Collapse -
nogo
by FTLOSM / March 23, 2011 8:22 AM PDT
In reply to: gonna try it why not..

well I didnt even get past the first line of text, just access denied response from the machine, did format C: and thats going right now, gonna just do the start all over thing here on this one, thanks for the tips and ideas, nothing big lost, most of it already on thumbdrive and my main pc, so guess its time to do the reinstall.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.