Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Unmountable_boot_volume and no floppy disk to boot from

First, I would like to thank our friends at microsoft for putting out another great product, windows xp - more bugs than ever! (if you cant tell I am very frustrated, after working all day I find my own computer is jacked beyond my knowlege).

I get the BSOD, unmountable_boot_volume error when I start up my computer. Tried Safe mode, and last known good configuration. I found on microsoft that it needs 'chkdsk /r command from Recovery Console '. The issue is, microsoft in their infinate wisdom decided to make XP not bootable so I am left a broken and hurt man. And, Compaq in their wisdom (I am serious) decided to throw away floppy drives since they are 10 years obsolite(it just happens that the rest of the world doesnt agree). I need help with this. I tried a '98 boot disk burned on a CDrom. I tried the XP boot disk burned on a CD rom, no luck. Any way to get this thing to work, ASAP so I can have my life back?

Thanks for your help
Brandon

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unmountable_boot_volume and no floppy disk to boot from
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unmountable_boot_volume and no floppy disk to boot from
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Unmountable_boot_volume and no floppy disk to boot from

In reply to: Unmountable_boot_volume and no floppy disk to boot from

Collapse -
Re:Unmountable_boot_volume and no floppy disk to boot from

In reply to: Unmountable_boot_volume and no floppy disk to boot from

A Google search offers this advice:

Insert the Windows XP disk.
Re-boot the machine.
You should see the message, "Press any key to boot from CD" - press a key.
It will take a while for the CD to bootup, but eventually you will get a list of about three choices.
Press "R" to enter the Recovery Console - after a moment and old-fashioned DOS prompt will appear.
Type chkdsk /r and press ENTER
It will perform a check disk utility. This can take up to a couple of hours, but eventually the prompt will appear again, indicating that it is done.
Remove the CD
Re-boot the machine.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Unmountable_boot_volume and no floppy disk to boot from

In reply to: Re:Unmountable_boot_volume and no floppy disk to boot from

Thanks for your help, I went ahead and started that chkdsk and fixmbr, it might take a few hours but I think it will work. I appreciate all your help.

Brandon

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Unmountable_boot_volume and no floppy disk to boot from

If it doesn't do the trick, do another Google search. There seems to be quite a bit of discussion on this subject.

Good Luck

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.