General discussion

Unmountable Boot Volume

I have a Lenovo T60 Laptop running Windows XP. I got this computer free (an old corporate computer), so it came with Photoshop and those sorts of things. I then got the "Unmountable Boot Volume" Blue Screen. I read about this on the internet, and found that you need the disks that came with the computer to fix it. I do not have these, but read there is a download on the Microsoft Site of these, yet I can't find it. I want to keep the programs and my files, so is there any non-reformatting fix to this? Safe mode also gives the same error. Help is needed!

Thanks,

Anniemoose98

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Unmountable Boot Volume
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Unmountable Boot Volume
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sadly no.

You can buy such media but the version you need varies. You might need Lenovo's version, or some XP Pro. For the Lenovo version hit their web site and hope they sell such.

For the full versions try newegg.com

As to keeping your files, that's all about backup. Hard disks fail all the time. We only lose what we don't backup.
Bob

- Collapse -
I think I found the answer!

I found an old Windows XP instal disk... Would this have the rescue and recovery needed to fix this?

Anniemoose98

- Collapse -
Rarely.

I've seen some 40+ variations (actually 10x that!) and one may or may not help.

Hope you have a backup of what you can't lose.
Bob

- Collapse -
CD

It says "For Distribution with a New PC Only", I believe that should mean it has the recovery I need.

- Collapse -
One of many I've seen.

These are still death to files on most machines. Hope there's a backup plan.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info