The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Unlocking Apple iPhone fro T-Mobile?

So I've been doing some research to try to discover if this is possable, as I really was excited by the announcment of he iPhone, only to be disappointed by it being Cingular only. I have had T-Mobile, and have had them since 1997, I just recently got the dash, but as I am a huge apple fanboy, well this thing made me drool.

Anyway, in Nov of 2006, the Library of Congress and copyright lawyer James H. Billington, bequeathed a wonderful gift upon millions of cellphone users by granting an exemption wherein consumers may legally break the software locks on their handsets in order to transfer service to another carrier, according to a article on Engadget's Mobile website on Nov 23,2006.

So my question "BOL'ers" is, does this mean that I can purchase an iPhone and simply unlock it for use with TMobile, and take into account that TMobile does have EDGE scheduled for release somtime this 2nd quater of 2007, I already recieve an EDGE signal on my Tmobile Dash.

Thanks
mgodfre3
PS Thanks TVM for the PS3 during Holiday Help Desk!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unlocking Apple iPhone fro T-Mobile?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unlocking Apple iPhone fro T-Mobile?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here is the thing.

In reply to: Unlocking Apple iPhone fro T-Mobile?

The DMCA exemption now lets you do what you wish with your phones. That does not mean other cell phone companies after to allow you to use the phone on a new system. Nor does it mean that you will be able to "simply unlock" the phone.

Collapse -
yeah ...

In reply to: Here is the thing.

yeah but Tmobile for the most part really doesn't give a rats tail what kind of phone you have. I've seen them turn on all kinds of phones from overseas. If he manages to get it unlocked, 9 out of 10 times Tmobile will let turn it on for him.

Collapse -
You will be able to get the phone unlocked

It's a GSM phone, it is going to be used globally, it will roam and have different network providers in different countries.

Even if Apple do not seel the iPhone unlocked someone will work it out and it will be on the WWW wihtin days of launch.

Collapse -
Thank you very much

In reply to: You will be able to get the phone unlocked

What you can also do is drop me an the link to ahab@vincysurf.com when the unlocking reaches out, what the heck i'm not intrested in cingular network

Collapse -
Get phone from cingular, pay penelty, unlock, use on Tmobile

you could always get he phone, tell cingular to take a hike, pay the $$$ for breach of service contract (2yrs) get the unlock code from them and then stick any dam GSM Sim card into it you want!

Question Mad dog said Cingular will be the carrier right? Will this thing also be sold in apple stores and online?

does it come prepackaged with cingular (locked) if bought in apple store or on line? say i want to buy this thing and take it over seas??

I live over seas and when i come for a visit in the states i keep my overseas sim card in my phone, for business, but I get a prepaid phone plan sim card from either cingular or t-mobile (can't remember if ATT&T does it or not) pop it in to my spare phone and I'm good to go with a local State side number. Got to love unlocked GSM phones.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.