Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Unlocking a Locked File

OS is Win98SE
Browser is IE6_SP1

My antivirus app provides updates (signature files) very frequently! Unfortunately,
all it leaves behind is a text file showing the version number of the latest update.

I like to know which files have been changed, deleted, or modified. I used one of the
many apps that will scan a directory and copy only those files that have been altered.
I discovered that one important file could not be copied. It was locked, even though
the antivirus app was not running.

Is there a way to unlock this file. I found a small applet called CopyLock that probably
would do the job, but I would like to unlock the file so when it is modified or overwritten
it can be copied by my backup application.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unlocking a Locked File
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unlocking a Locked File
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Unlocking a Locked File

In reply to: Unlocking a Locked File

Which is why the development of online and offline BACKUP programs is so important. A good example is that "DOS" along with some other software when booted and run may actually be the right answer for this old OS. Microsoft didn't provide an API call to "unlock" a file in use so you can search for a very long time to fix this issue, but I know it too well.

FOr example, the KNOPPIX CD when booted can use K3b to create file backups.

Best of luck in your search, but since it wasn't solved in 9 years with "online" methods, then its unlikely you will fix it.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Unlocking a Locked File

Lanyard,

I'm a little bit more optimistic than Bob.

But let me first say that there is no real need, in my opinion, to backup the signatures of your anti-virus. If anything happens to make you need the backup, you can just as well get a new copy of the signatures by the automatic update, I think.

That being said, download a program call MOVEONBOOT. It will add a 'GiPo-tab' to the file properties (in Explorer or My Computer) which allows you to copy, move or delete a file during boot (assuming it's not locked then). In principle, you need to do this after every update. But it would be feasible, I think, to copy the line in the registry from the RunOnce-key to the Run-key, and then it's automatically done on every boot, whether needed or not.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Unlocking a Locked File

Thank you Bob and Kees.

While I'm slaving away at my relatively new dual
boot XP-Linux Desktop, I can still do a lot of
stuff faster using 98SE.

The funny thing is I can copy, paste, and delete
this "locked" file all day long. When you try to
automate the process using a backup app you get
this "copy failure" message about the file being
locked or in use. I know the anti-virus app isn't
running so that must mean the file is locked.

I know it seems a little strange saving signature
files. The thing is I just switched to this much
faster (and I hope better) anti-virus app. My
previous anti-virus program was updated once or
twice a week. This one is sometimes updated twice
in one day! That's a good thing, of course. Some
of these viruses hit so fast your anti-virus soft-
ware can't keep up.

With my old anti-virus app I got into the habit of
keeping three or four of the most current updates.
Just like the slow output of updates, the app itself
always was kind of clunky and slow.

I guess I just wanted to continue saving a few of
the signature files with my new app, like I did with
the old.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.