Alert

Unlocker contains malware.

Hello,
I downloaded a program called Unlocker from CNET Download. When installing it I was asked whether I agree to install Babylon toolbar, I agreed. With the next scanning of my computer with ESET online scanner, it detected tow files that belong to Babylon toolbar that were considered as threats. When I removed these two files, Unlocker did not work. I uninstalled it and downloaded it again. This time I choosed not to install Babylon toolbar, but when I started installing it, an alert appeared that says: "Spybot Search and Destroy has encountered and terminated a process that is listed as a part of malicious software, the name of the process is Babylon toolbar. Again, Unlocker did not work and I uninstalled it.
This is only for your information.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Unlocker contains malware.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Unlocker contains malware.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
scan the Unlocker file

you can do one thing, first of all scan the downloaded Unlocker file with anti-virus/malware....then proceed to install it....

- Collapse -
I uninstalled the program.

Thank you for your interest and sorry for being too late to reply.
After getting tow alerts from two different security programmes, AVG and Spybot Search and Destroy, I decided to uninsall the program. The program itself does not contain malware, but another program that insist to be installed with it does This program, Babylon Toolbar tried to be downloaded with another software from cnet download. I sent, this message so that cnet takes the actions to stop that toolbar to be downloaded with their software.

- Collapse -
Hi hueassa

I will forward this over to the Download team so they can investigate.

- Collapse -
Babylon Toolbar is no more downloaded.

Hi Mark,
Thank you for your interest.
After my first message, Babylon Toolbar stopped forcing itself to be ddownloaded with your software, It seems that someone has took an action in this regard.
Thanks.

- Collapse -
Sorry for giving wrong information.

Hi marc,
Sorry for giving you wrong information. I downloaded some software fron CNET Download and this toolbar did not appear, so, I thought that the issue is over, But after submitting my reply, I tried to download Orbit Downloader and Babylon Toolbar appeared again. It is downloaded within CNET downloader. So, the issue is not over.
Sorry for the previous wrong information annd thanks.

- Collapse -
(NT) Ok, thanks for the update
- Collapse -
Babylon Toolbar clarification

Hi Hueassa,

We went ahead and tried to replicate your issue. You were correct in saying that Babylon is offered, but the program is not offered with our official CNET Installer. Our team did confirm that Babylon was offered through Orbit Downloader's installation process, but that process was not affiliated with or implemented in the CNET Installer itself and was developed separately from Download.com. Hopefully this will clarify some things.

Thanks.

- Collapse -
Babylon Toolbar clarification.

Thanks for your clarification.
for along time, I thought that CNET and download.com are the same. This was the reason of the confusion in which I falled.

- Collapse -
hueassa...

For clarification Download.com is CNET. I believe what Eddie means is that the Babylon toolbar offered was not part of the CNET Download.com installer, rather it was an offer as part of the Orbit Downloader's installation--which the publisher of the software added to their program when you downloaded it.

Does this make sense?

- Collapse -
Sure it does.

Thank you Lee for giving me some of your precious time. Yes, your answer clarified the problem.

Thanks for your interest.

CNET Forums

Forum Info