Phones forum

General discussion

Unlocked phone question, quick responces appreciated

by lambo500 / January 16, 2007 9:31 AM PST

I am looking to buy a new phone off ebay. The phone i am looking at is a cingular phone, but is unlocked. I have tmobile and i heard of some rumors that using an unlocked phone will cause constant roaming charges and that the wireless content service (tzones in my case) will not work. Are these things true? are there really any downsides to an unlocked phone? I appreciate any and all quick responces as the auction is ending soon

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unlocked phone question, quick responces appreciated
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unlocked phone question, quick responces appreciated
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just because a phone is unlocked
by neocon / January 16, 2007 10:11 AM PST

it does not mean it will work with another carrier, UNLESS the phone has the correct bands. For T-Mobile to work well, you will need the 1900 MHz band. Make sure the phone has at least that band. If it is a tri-band phone, chances are it has the 850/1800/1900 bands, and most T-Mobile tri-bands have 900/1800/1900 bands.
As far as the claim that an unlocked phone will cause constant roaming charges is pure bulls**t. Tzones may not work properly unless you have a t-mobile technician fix that for you.
Did you know that T-Mobile will unlock your phone after you have been a customer with them for 90 days?
If you want to get an unlocked phone, try to get a quad-band phone which will work anywhere in the world.

Collapse -
unlocked GSM with Alltel
by gozok / January 17, 2007 2:57 AM PST

It seems you have a good amount of knowledge on the subject, so I have a question for you:

If I buy an unlocked GSM phone, will I be able to use it with my Alltel service (Alltel is CDMA)? I am pretty sure Alltel uses the 1900MHz band, so I am looking at the tri-band unlocked GSM phones...

Your help is appreciated!

Collapse -
NO!!!
by neocon / January 17, 2007 5:30 AM PST

CDMA and GSM are incompatible and will not work on each other's networks.
GSM uses SIM cards and when the phone is unlocked, you can use it with any carrier's SIM card.
CDMA phones do not use SIM cards.

Collapse -
CDMA/GSM combination
by gozok / January 17, 2007 6:18 AM PST
In reply to: NO!!!

Thank you for the quick response!

I came across the idea of CDMA/GSM combination phones. Do know you anything about them? Or where I might find info?

Collapse -
Verizon Wireless
by neocon / January 17, 2007 10:31 AM PST
In reply to: CDMA/GSM combination

They have 3 phones that are CDMA/GSM for international travelers.
These phones from VZW will work on CDMA network while in the USA and GSM while abroad. The phones have only the 2 bands, 900/1800 that are used in most of the world.
If you want to find out more, go to: http://aboutus.vzw.com/internationalsvcs/globalphone/index.html

Collapse -
Unlocked RAZR?
by gamedreamer / February 20, 2007 8:30 AM PST
In reply to: Verizon Wireless

Question about the RAZR. It is offered now both on GSM and CDMA network. Does that mean they are using the same chips for both networks or does it mean they swapped out the chips based on the network that it is being sold on?

Just curious, I'm wondering if that is swappable like the SIM card is swappable. Probably not.

Collapse -
thanks sort of
by gamedreamer / February 20, 2007 10:16 PM PST
In reply to: Loop de loop!

I guess that is sort of the answer. I was looking more into the chips themselves. Like with PCs where some of the processors evolutions were simply just an older chip with the mods released. I'm curious if this is the same with chips in these phone models.

I guess I could try to find the technical specs to get that answer. The RAZR is 2 years old now so I could probably find one someone is throwing away for the next great gadget and open it up.

Collapse -
Short answer
by neocon / February 21, 2007 2:02 AM PST
In reply to: thanks sort of

Cell phone manufacturers will make phones for different carriers. e.g. Moto RAZR comes in both GSM and CDMA technology. GSM can be used with ATT (old cingular) and T-Mobile (plus any other GSM carriers). CDMA phones are made for Verizon and Sprint (two major CDMA carriers in the USA) plus some other carriers.

The GSM and CDMA phones are completely different technologies and they cannot be interchangeable. They may be only within the same technology carriers.

Collapse -
thanks again
by gamedreamer / February 21, 2007 6:00 AM PST
In reply to: Short answer

Thanks. I wonder why they can't use the same chipset. Probably because the standards are too different.

Collapse -
Can Unlocked Verizon HTC Touch Pro 2 Work w/Alltel
by lisaann525 / July 18, 2010 11:26 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks again

I have Alltel, who is hardly carrying any phones probably since they are now Verizon or AT&T. My particular area is AT&T, and I definitely want the iPhone, but have tried every which way and cannot get on yet because they do not provide service in my area yet. So my HTC Touch Pro phone broke. My only option is a refurbished HTC Touch Pro and I really don't want to do that. Plus I'd like to try the Touch Pro 2. Can I buy an unlocked Touch Pro 2 and activate it on Alltel? Or should I buy one not unlocked? I ask because it is confusing that the unlocked ones are ready for the GSM network, which is exactly what I do not have here in my area yet. So maybe I just need a Verizon TP2 not unlocked. But will Alltel activate it? Just trying not to waste $350 with a rash decision. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Collapse -
Are there conditions to be met for an unlock
by jerryofthe5ws / January 18, 2007 12:51 PM PST

Came across your claim that T-Mobile will unlock a customer's cell phone after 90 days of service. Is that the case with Cingular/AT&T too? This is the first I have heard of this. Do they ask you why you want it unlocked? Is there a fee? I have a Sony Ericsson W810i. I've heard told that some cusotmers' W810 experience enhanced Bluetooth connectivity after their phone is unlocked. Naturally, I'm curious....

Collapse -
If you don't ask, you don't know!
by neocon / January 18, 2007 1:20 PM PST

The only condition is beeing a customer for 90 or more days and in good standing. No fees or charges to unlock phone.
I don't know about Cingular's policies.
Why would someone have the phone unlocked? If they change carriers, they can take their phone with them. If they travel internationally, rather than pay very high roaming charges to their primary carrier, they can buy a local SIM card and use their phone abroad, using local rates.

Collapse -
can i
by solie9 / August 18, 2009 12:42 PM PDT

if i buy a unlocked g1 google phone will i be able to use it with alltel

Collapse -
No
by birdmantd Forum moderator / August 18, 2009 2:06 PM PDT
In reply to: can i

Incompatible networks. The G1 is a GSM phone sold by T-mobile (would work w/ At&t) and Alltel uses CDMA.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?