Phones forum

General discussion

Unlocked Phone?

I'm really confused about my cell phone situation. I'm trying very hard to keep an old plan that I got through AT&T. My cell phone isn't operating too well these days so I would like to get an new one. If I buy an unlocked cell phone on ebay will it be operational with the merged AT&T/Cingular company? Are there certain features in the phone that should be looking to make it compatible? What's the deal with my SIM card? Can I still use it in a new phone? I'm really not savvy in this area. Dumb down the answer as best you can. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unlocked Phone?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unlocked Phone?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
yes you can

In reply to: Unlocked Phone?

Ok. First off, Yes, if you buy an Unlocked phone through EBay it will work with your Sim card.

1 think to look for in the Unlocked Phone:
The Frequency used. You will be looking for the following:
850 / 1900 Mhz.
850mhz is Very Important Especially with AT&T.

Once you found a phone you like that Has the 850mhz band, the other features of the phone is up to you.

The only thing to look for is the 850mhz. I would also verify that the phone has the 850band by googling that phone model. Just to see if the specs are right.

Once you get your unlocked phone, pop out the battery and insert your sim card into the new phone and power it on. Assuming you saved your contacts to the sim card it will show up on the new phone.

Hope this helps.

if you do get a new phone, and need help with it, come back. Or you can email me. Just click my user name.

Good luck!

Collapse -
Another fundamental question

In reply to: yes you can

If you purchase an unlocked quadband phone from say CELLHUT.COM, do you just pick up the phone and call you carrier of choice...say Cingular and signup or do you have to take the phone to a Cingular storefront for give you a number and do something to the phone ?

Thanks in advance
VAPCMD

Collapse -
im Not sure what you mean

In reply to: Another fundamental question

If you buy an unlocked phone, and you have a Sim Card with service activated from Cingular/ATT or Tmo you just have to put that sim card into the phone and turn on the phone.

If you bought the unlocked phone and you have Verizon or Sprint, go to a Cingular/ATT or Tmo store, port your number, but dont ask for a phone. Just ask for the Sim card. The agent will then port your number and register your sim card. Then you put that sim card into your phone.

Does that make sense?

Collapse -
(NT) Got it....Thanks !

In reply to: im Not sure what you mean

Collapse -
I got a problem

In reply to: yes you can

Ok. I just bought a LG KE970 Shine UNLOCKED from Ebay, and in some places it picks up and some places it dont it says No service and sometimes it says limited service.. Are there a way to fix this?
I have AT&T and it works in town but sometimes it dont and says that no service thing.

Collapse -
as long as it's GSM

If you're old, old school AT&T and have a TDMA phone, then that won't work.

Collapse -
Unlocked GSM phone: If you have a problem, who will fix it?

If you buy an Unlocked GSM phone, and there is a problem, who will fix it? Will your cell phone operator fix it for you, for free, or, will you need to send it back to the seller for warranty repair? We live in Colombia and they sell several
brands of Unlocked GSM phones, in the superstore where we shop, but, that would be my first question to the sales person. As a previous poster pointed out, confirm that the phone you want to buy (some variations of the same model work on different GSM frequencies), will work on the GSM network you want to buy. I have had two (2) of our old GSM phones Unlocked and they both work fine, on another carriers network. Copy all of your contacts onto your SIM card, before you move the SIM card into your new phone! HTH, Lanny

Collapse -
Thanks...

In reply to: Unlocked GSM phone: If you have a problem, who will fix it?

I was thinkin' of getting a quad band GSM....one that indicates it's compatible with all the USA GSM carrier Cingular, AT&T, T-Mobile, etc. and any of the GSM overseas carriers. At least that way I'd have a choice of carriers. I've got an old digital/analog phone from Verizon now and I thought about trying GSM band phones and carriers. Maybe I'll try getting on my brother's family plan and see how it works. I definitely don't have a SIM card to move....I'd have to get one from the carrier. Are SIM cards universally intercgangeable ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
SIM cards, Sony Ericsson W300i Walkman is quad band GSM

In reply to: Thanks...

VAPCMD: I believe SIM cards are always interchangeable. However, last September, when my wife moved from a Sony Ericsson T290a to a Sony Ericsson W300i Walkman, the man in the office of our primary cell phone operator who helps us did *NOT* use her old SIM card. He put in a new SIM card (which I suspect has a larger memory capacity) and she had to enter all of her contact information again. The 2 phones we have had unlocked (after their contracts had expired) were my wife's old Sony Ericsson T290a and my old Nokia 1108. Both operate perfectly, after SIM cards from another carrier were installed. My Wife and I both have Sony Ericsson W300i Walkman's. If you enjoy music, these are Quad Band GSM phones and should work on any GSM network in the world. I would like to have my daughters old Firefly unlocked, so we can use it, temporarily, if one of our phohes dies HTH, Lanny

Collapse -
Thanks...appreciate the info

In reply to: SIM cards, Sony Ericsson W300i Walkman is quad band GSM

What's has been a little confusing to me and perhaps other perspective shoppers/buyers is looking at TRI and QUADBAND GSM phones at places like Cellhut.com that indicate compatability with only T-Mobile. Then I looked at TigerDirect and they list GSM Carriers and the GSM bands they use. Makes me wonder why GSM phones with multiple bands such as 800, 850, 1800 and 1900 don't work with GSM Carriers with the same band(s).

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Most of them do

In reply to: Thanks...appreciate the info

At&t and tmo have bands that cross over each other.
ATT main band is 850.
Tmo's main band is 1900.

However, both companies lease their lines to one another so that if 850 doesnt work in a certain area, that phone will hop on and use 1900.

back a few years ago, you could see the change. If you had a att/cingular phone, the carriers info would be seen on the screen. So if i was in a cingular area, the heading would be Cingular. But if I went to a tmobile area, the heading would switch to tmobile even though I have a cingular sim card in my phone.

I think if a consumer is looking to buy an Unlocked phone from a place like cellhut or tiger, they should first know what service band their host carrier uses. Tmobile mainly uses 1900 and ATT/Cing use 850. The only real difference is that 850 was/is used to penetrate a rural areas. If you are in a big city, you will be fine with service. But if you go to a small city / town, and you just have a tri band phone, you may not be able to get reception. for this example, a triband phone would have 900/1800/1900 bands.

If anyone has other questions. let us know. Or let me know. Im glad to help! fellow cell phone users!!

Collapse -
Appreciate the info/feedback

In reply to: Most of them do

I'm in the Wash DC area so don't suspect there will be much problem getting a signal with a tri-band unit. Nonetheless if a better quad band phone would ensure a signal or a better signal, I'd be inclined to spend the extra bucks. What good's a phone if you can't a signal or hear the other party ?

My brother has a Moto Razr on Cingular and it seems no matter where he calls from . . . the signal is weak and the sound (call quality) is lousy. So is it the phone, the carrier, the calling area or a combination of all three ? That's what I'm hoping to avoid with a good quad band phone on a carrier of choice.

Again, Thanks.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
phone

In reply to: Appreciate the info/feedback

While a quad-band handset is just as good as a tri-band phone it will only make a difference when you are traveling internationally. In the US, only 850 mhz and 1900 mhz frequencies are utilized for voice calls. In Europe and Asia, the 900 mhz and 1800 mhz are used.

Collapse -
RE: phone ...Thanks...

In reply to: phone

Not sure I'll be traveling overseas anytime soon but it would be nice to have the capbility with a phone I'm used to using.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Buying an unlocked phone and then a pre-paid service

Hi

Question: Can I purchase an unlocked GSM phone then purchase a pre-pay service with ATT? (I don't have an ATT phone or contract).

I don't use a cell-phone much on a day-to-day basis in the US and want to move from a Verizon contract (now thankfully expired)to ATT prepaid service. I want to buy an unlocked multi-band GSM phone that I can use in South Africa too.

If I purchase a phone will ATT agree to activate for me when I buy the pre-paid service?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!