Computer Help forum

General discussion

UNLOCK A FROZEN REGISTER KEY

Hi,
I have tried deleting some register keyS on my computer. A pop-up message said that it was unable to delete the key; that it was locked or something. This was tried in the Normal, Normal with all programs closed/disabled, and Safe modes. Each time I tried to remove or delete a certain register key, I was denied.

Is there any way that I can render the keys in the register to a state where it can be deleted? Am running Win 2000 Pro. Appreciate any assistance you may offer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UNLOCK A FROZEN REGISTER KEY
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UNLOCK A FROZEN REGISTER KEY
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: UNLOCK A FROZEN REGISTER KEY

In reply to: UNLOCK A FROZEN REGISTER KEY

I believe some are protected. Right click on the key you want to remove and look at permissions.

Collapse -

In reply to: UNLOCK A FROZEN REGISTER KEY

XP,

Sometimes it makes a difference if you do the removals as the main "Administrator" log in, versus a simple user with administrator privledges. Try logging in as "administrator" in "safe mode" instead of your normal user name.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: UNLOCK A FROZEN REGISTER KEY

Grif Thomas,

Thanks for the response. I believe I tried deleting the key as the "administrator" in Safe mode...didn't work.

Will give it another shot just in case I didn't.

Thanks

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.