Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

"unknown software exception" error

by NoviceBill / February 11, 2009 9:59 AM PST

Hi all
I have two problems which may or may not be related. First of all, it's an IBM Thinkpad R51e with a Celeron M processor and 756MB RAM, running Windows XP SP3. I have Norton 2009 AV/Firewall, Spybot, Ad-Aware, FSBL Rootkit Eliminator, Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware, and SuperAntispyware. I update everything regularly, and have scanned using all this stuff but found nothing. I also scanned with Malwarebyte's in safe mode. I haven't installed any programs recently, except for updating to new versions when available.
I typically sign in as a user, using the administrator account only when necessary. Very recently I will get a box showing up stating "The exception unknown software exception (0xc06d007e) occurred in the application at location 0x7c812aeb" and I'm supposed to click OK or cancel. I click OK and it goes away, sometimes to return after a while but not always. Everything seems to be running fine. This only happens in the user account. And it does say "exception unknown software exception".
When I sign in as administrator, I get a different box: "RCApp.exe encountered a problem and needed to close" and wants me to tell Microsoft about this problem. This will happen about four times in rapid succession, with a new one appearing within a couple of seconds of me clicking "Don't Send". Then all seems well.
I've done internet searches on both of these, and have found that other's also have had these problems. I haven't found any solutions, however. The general consensus seems to be that it is not a virus or other malware, but might be a remnant of an old version of a program or a registry error.
Could these errors be related to one another? and how do I fix them? I'm not sure where to start, because it doesn't identify a program by name. If I could identify the problem perhaps I could do an uninstall/reinstall of the program.
Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "unknown software exception" error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "unknown software exception" error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Where Is The RCApp.exe File Located?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 11, 2009 12:47 PM PST
Collapse -
How do I find the file's location?
by NoviceBill / February 12, 2009 11:39 PM PST

Thanks for the link. I don't have Norton Ghost but I bet it's something similar. You asked "Where Is The RCApp.exe File Located?" How do I find this out? I did a search on my C drive but found nothing. Taskmanager doesn't show it, nor does Sysinternals Process Explorer (unless I'm not using it correctly). Thanks again.

Collapse -
When Doing The Search...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 13, 2009 10:25 AM PST

After opening the Search window (Click on Start-Search), then click on "All Files and Folders" link, then make sure you're looking through the "Hidden Files" section, by clicking on "More Advanced Options" on the left side of the window, then click on "Search System Folders" and "Search hidden files and folders", "Search Subfolders". Once that's done, type "RCApp" in the "All or part of the file name" line, then search..

What do you find?

The process indicators don't show the process running because it ISN'T.. That's what the error has already told you..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
RCApp locations
by NoviceBill / February 14, 2009 5:48 AM PST

I found several; here's the name and folder location info:

1. RCAPP.EXE-020A7EB2.pf in C:\Windows\Prefetch
2. RCAPP.EXE-07BEE38E.pf in C:\Windows\Prefetch
3. RCAPP.EXE-0AC1D8B7.pf in C:\Windows\Prefetch
4. RCAPP.EXE-0C9AA6E7.pf in C:\Windows\Prefetch
5. RCApp.exe.20090205-223902-00.hdmp in C:\Windows\pchealth\ERRORREP\UserDumps
6. RCApp.exe.20090206-143124-00.hdmp in C:\Windows\pchealth\ERRORREP\UserDumps

The first three *.pf files were 14KB each, the fourth was 18KB. The two *.hdmp files were 517KB each. The first, second and fourth were last modified Feb 12; the third on Feb 11; the fifth and sixth on Feb 5 and 6, respectively.

Now, this is when I performed the search from and Administrator account (where I get the error from), not from a user account. When I perform the search from a user account (where I don't get an error from), I don't see any of these, I imagine because the user doesn't have access to them. I do get the following, however:

Name: regLocal
In folder: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot-Search & Destroy\Backups
It's 21,793 KB in size, and last modified in August. I checked the properties of regLocal: it's a Registration Entries type, and opens with Registry Editor. I know enough not to mess with the registry, and since it's found in the user rather than administrator account, it may not be significant since the user account doesn't give the RCApp error anyway. I did think it was odd that the search from the administrator account did not show this regLocal file, however. I'll try to find out from the Spybot documentation what this is. Maybe I can delete it because it's a backup and I use Acronis to backup what I want backed up.

By the way, I did not get the errors today.

Thanks for all your help; I really appreciate it.

Collapse -
More info
by NoviceBill / February 14, 2009 6:14 AM PST
In reply to: RCApp locations

I went to Event Viewer and checked the Application Logs, and I think I found the logs pertaining to these errors. At least, they're logged at or about the same time. They all say the same thing:

Faulting application RCApp.exe, version 1.0.0.2, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.5512, fault address 0x00012aeb.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I don't understand the error log, but I'll check the website indicated

Collapse -
Actually it is Norton's LiveUpdate ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 14, 2009 7:05 AM PST

and Ghost makes use of it along with all other Norton products.

The RCApp.exe may be located in Windows Prefetch but you will seldom find it anywhere else other than within the Temp Internet files as it gets deleted after use.

Some who have been getting the errors solve it with a complete uninstall using Norton's Uninstall utility (be sure3 to use the one that applies) -
http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Also, you should be aware that it is best to follow the steps to turn off Norton's Product Protection and Anti Virus and Firewall BEFORE uninstalling per this page-
http://service1.symantec.com/support/sharedtech.nsf/pfdocs/2005113009323013

Others have solved their issues with a work around that simply involves disabling automatic updates and performing all product updates manually.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!