Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

"unknown PCI Device"

Have been having some problems and think it maybe related to an "unknown PCI Device listed in Device Manager but I'm unable to decode what the device is. In system info it is listed as

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV2443&SUBSYS_80271043&REV_01\3&61AAA01&0&FB
with an error code 28

I have booted to safe mode and it is showing there also have disconnected all externals and it still shows in device manager. I'm running a

dual booted system of win 98 and win k2 OS
microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Version 5.0.2195 Service Pack 4 Build 2195
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~938 Mhz on a Asus CUSL2 AGP Pro/4x mother board
BIOS Version Award Medallion BIOS v6.0
Boot Device \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1
Grafics card Geforce2

No other problems (ie. viruses etc) or conflicts are being found. Any help on the above code and how to decipher it would be helpful thanks SL

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "unknown PCI Device"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "unknown PCI Device"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's a common issue.

In reply to: "unknown PCI Device"

Many expected Microsoft to detect hardware and install drivers, but this is not true. Also, what little information you provided (it is good, but not enough) doesn't share what's in the box.

Installing Windows 2000 in a nutshell works like this.

1. Install 2000.
2. Install drivers for everything else.
3. Install firewall and antivirus.
4. Windows Update for a few hours.
5. Install directx and what else you need.

It's far from automatic.

Bob

Collapse -
what more can I give you in info

In reply to: It's a common issue.

Is there something more I can give you in info so you could help me more? I know how to load 2000 that was not an issue here. This appeared after the system was up and running fine. We ghosted a new harddrive after one failed and two unknown devices appeared one I solved by disconnecting and removing items until I found it but the other I can not seem to figure out. I DON'T want to start from scratch to rebuild this computer! I just want to figure out what the device is so I can reinstall it. Just doing a reinstall doesn't do it as it can not find the drivers in auto mode and I don't know what it is to tell it where to get a driver. So if you have any knowledge of where I can go for help or what more info I could give you I would appreciate it. Thanks

Collapse -
Which is why I wrote...

In reply to: what more can I give you in info

"share what's in the box."

Belarc Advisor is fair and there are others. I've seen such hard disk clones and after 5 years my thought is to take the dive and do it proper. Your choice.

Bob

Collapse -
Answer found

In reply to: Which is why I wrote...

In case someone else has this problem I was searching other parts for c/net and zdnet and found a reference to Drive Guide Tool Kit. It's a free trial program and it gave me additional info on the device and options for the drivers. It was right and one of the drivers offered matched one I had and it seems to be working.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.