Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

Unknown is back

by PudgyOne / May 21, 2006 7:07 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unknown is back
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unknown is back
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) half pages is also back
by tomron / May 21, 2006 7:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Unknown is back
Collapse -
Looks like the Unknown user posted this a while ago -- 2004
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / May 22, 2006 2:33 AM PDT

If this user comes back to the forums they should be asked to fillout the "username" field. But until they come back and log back in which they haven't since November 29, 2005, their username will be unknown.

If you see any more Unknowns that are current active members of the forum, please do let me know.

Thanks Rick!

Collapse -
I can't beleive
by PudgyOne / May 22, 2006 7:24 AM PDT

I can't beleive someone dug that post up. It's a wonder they didn't start their own post.

Sorry Lee.

Collapse -
That Particular Unknown Is 'Patricia'..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 23, 2006 7:54 AM PDT

...At least, I think so.. I've worked with her a number of times over the years and it's been a while since we've heard from her. She lives in Canada. I hope she's OK as she hasn't been well for quite a while.

Typing "Patricia" in the author's search line will allow you to find her posts, also listed currently as "Unknown".

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Hi Grif, I do remember her, wasn't her handle/username just
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / May 24, 2006 3:26 AM PDT

If it was, she may have been one of those members who unfortunate got caught up in the duplicate username issue we had a year ago. Anyways I do hope she doing OK.

Thanks Grif!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yep, That's Right! 'Patricia' only
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 25, 2006 10:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
If they keep
by PudgyOne / May 26, 2006 1:26 AM PDT

If they keep Patricia as unknown, then there should not ever be an unknown in the forum again.

Sounds like a great isea to me.

Collapse -
by tomron / May 26, 2006 10:19 PM PDT
In reply to: If they keep

Recently when i log in the log in box is light shade of gray.

When i click on preview it says posted by unknown and the only way for me to get around this is to back button a couple of times and hit refresh.

Collapse -
Clarification Rick
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / May 31, 2006 6:48 AM PDT
In reply to: If they keep

"Unknown" is username place holder for anyone who has had their username either removed, or for anyone who does not have a username assigned to them -- who some how slipped passed the registration system without a username.

Collapse -
Lee, check this thread out
by Glenda / May 31, 2006 7:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Clarification Rick
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) grrrr page not found
by Mark5019 / May 31, 2006 8:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Looks like message has been removed
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / May 31, 2006 8:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
lee why
by Mark5019 / May 31, 2006 8:51 AM PDT

i was had it there as i was getting a message saying must have subject so i went there and tried just a test worked
others had same prob and now i click on it get page not found wierd:(

sorry to bother you

Collapse -
This is weird--this is the only post that does this
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / May 31, 2006 9:52 AM PDT
In reply to: lee why

I'll report it just to make sure it doesn't happen to others.

Thanks Mark.

Collapse -
That thread "Test" is still
by Glenda / May 31, 2006 10:23 AM PDT

showing with 11 replies, you just can't open it, This is really strange, and BTW Lee, Null, Unknown is now posting as Arrowhead:(

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?