Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

unknown Icon

by LJseeks / November 5, 2004 6:16 AM PST

I have an unknown and unlabel icon in my contol panel.
Windows XP home service pack 2. Nothing happens when I click on the icon. The only options when clicked on is to Open or Create a shortcut. But no reaction when clicked on.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: unknown Icon
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: unknown Icon
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: unknown Icon
by roddy32 / November 5, 2004 6:23 AM PST
In reply to: unknown Icon

What does it look like?. It just appeared out of nowhere?

Collapse -
by LJseeks / November 7, 2004 5:54 AM PST
In reply to: Re: unknown Icon

It is a small shield shape.with a #1 enclosed within a curve line inside the shield. the shield is outline in a red line and circle by a red line.
The icon did just appear out of nowhere.

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 7, 2004 6:03 AM PST

Like Papa Echo asked, did you right click or left click on it? If it's in the control panel, it should have some sort of label on it. If not. Either right click and see if there is a properties option. Also like Papa Echo said, if you hold your mouse over it without clicking, there should be a tip appear as to what it is. Another thing to try if it won't open when you click open is to double click on it and see if it opens that way.

Collapse -
by LJseeks / November 7, 2004 6:10 AM PST

There is no label on it. No properties box comes up.
Nothing happens on a single or double click. Nothing comes up when the mouse is held over the icon. The happens on a left click. On a right click two boxs come up either to open or to create a short cut. When the open box is click nothing happens. Under the create a short cut it states that you cannot create a shortcut here and asks if I want to create a shortcut on the desk top.

Collapse -
Try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2004 6:14 AM PST

Supply a list of what .CPL files are in \Windows\System32

Maybe you have an extra?

Bob

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / November 6, 2004 1:17 PM PST

When you get the options to 'Open' or 'Create shortcut', did you left or right click ? When you are at the options window, what did the window title said (i.e the blue bar) ? If you rest the mouse crusor at the icon what did the 'screen tip' say ?

Collapse -
by LJseeks / November 7, 2004 6:02 AM PST

right click. Nothing happens on a left click. On the open box nothing happens. In the create a shortcut box, It sataes that you cannot open a shortcut here..

Collapse -
Re: unknown Icon // I recall....
by tobeach / November 7, 2004 2:28 PM PST

several years ago seeing a icon such as you describe. I beleive it was a symbol for either an AV or some other type of security program (Bit Defender?) Been to long for correct recall. Did you have a recent Drive By install (often come via Active=X) which was deleted? Maybe a "Nanny" Program? Perhaps try "Desktop Icons" into Google. Good luck!! Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.