Computer Help forum

General discussion

Unknown file extension for photos

by MarciaB / March 31, 2004 11:45 PM PST

I posted this yesterday in "graphics" forum .... thought I would try here, also Happy

I just received an expected e-mail attachment with some photos. The file extension is .pvm It is a new one to me and I have been unable to find it in any of my usual extension sites, such as www.filext.com. I have several image viewing and editing programs at my disposal, and nothing is working. The only thing I could locate on this extension is the following:
-----------------------
PVM (Parallel Virtual Machine) is a software package that permits a heterogeneous collection of Unix and/or Windows computers hooked together by a network to be used as a single large parallel computer. Thus large computational problems can be solved more cost effectively by using the aggregate power and memory of many computers. The software is very portable. The source, which is available free thru netlib, has been compiled on everything from laptops to CRAYs.
-----------------------
That doesn't sound like what I would normally think of for image viewing - but then the more I read about it the more I realized it was WAY beyond what I do with computers!!

I can, of course (and probably will), contact the source of the photos and request a different format, but it's just "one of those things"........IOW driving me nuts!! LOL Does anyone here know of this extension? Is it maybe some software associated specifically with a certain camera?

TIA - and if I need to post in another forum with this, let me know.

Marcia/Oregon/USA

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unknown file extension for photos
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unknown file extension for photos
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Unknown file extension for photos
by chuckieu / April 1, 2004 5:50 AM PST

Marcia, good to hear from you. Since I got into Linux and
avoid the attack dogs in Speak( I hate the loss of that forum). Sorry. I digress. Anyway, just a Google search shows that extension, although open source, was created for and is used for a particular project(pov-ray). So it's curious someone would send something to an outsider
with it. chuck

Collapse -
POV-Ray sounds fascinating
by Rosalie / April 2, 2004 2:35 AM PST

The Persistence of Vision Raytracer is a high-quality, totally free tool for creating stunning three-dimensional graphics. It is available in official versions for Windows, Mac OS/Mac OS X and i86 Linux. The source code is available for those wanting to do their own ports.

http://www.povray.org/

Collapse -
Thanks, Rosalie.
by chuckieu / April 2, 2004 3:54 AM PST

Hadn't gone to the site. Interesting. Of coarse, you could look for a player that will handle the extension. chuck

Collapse -
Hi, Marcia, have you tried changing the ..
by Rosalie / April 2, 2004 2:45 AM PST

file extension to .jpg on one of the photos to see if it would open in your browser? Or some other program. This hardly ever works but has on occassion for me.

Would this have anything to do with the photos that were created:

http://runevision.com/3d/

Collapse -
Hi, Rosalie & Chuck
by MarciaB / April 2, 2004 6:33 AM PST

Sorry it took me awhile to get back to this thread!! I had almost forgotten about it! Silly me Happy

Anyway, as I had said originally, I also posted this in Graphics. Bob Profitt helped me, and betwixt the two of us we figured out what the problem was. The file extension had apparently been changed/renamed by the sender. It should have been .mpv, NOT .pvm. Anyway, it is for a Hewlett Packard program called Memories Disc Creator.

I decided it would be alot easier to just have her resend the pics to us with the generic format of .jpg than fool around with it anymore. I was "on a mission" to discover the extension/program issue - now that I have solved that to my satisfaction, I can just be lazy and have her send them again!! LOL

Was good to hear from you Chuck, and, again, thanks to both of you for your responses.

Marcia/Oregon/USA

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.