Storage forum

General discussion

"Unknown Device" External HDD issue

by GZ430 / July 16, 2010 4:39 AM PDT

Hi all,

I've had a Simpletech 120gb External HDD for a few years now and just recently I began recieving the error message "Unrecognized device". In Device Manager, the HDD comes up as "unknown device". I've scoured the web for an answer but have found nothing.
I'll list my symptoms below if it helps:

When I plug in the HDD on other computers it works fine however on my laptop the red power light remains on but the blue "harddrive is working" light never flickers as it used to. When I plug in any other USB device on my laptop it works fine, it just seems to be my external HDD. The HDD does not come up in My Computer when plugged in after the laptop is turned on and when plugged in before starting up my laptop, my laptop freezes on "windows is starting up..." screen, or the External HDD comes up in 'My Computer' but when clicked on there are no files or folders.

I've tried everything with the exception of reinstalling the driver and purchasing new a new USB hub.

thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Unknown Device" External HDD issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Unknown Device" External HDD issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If this USB drive is powered from USB
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2010 5:22 AM PDT

That's a well known problem. SOMETIMES those Y USB cables help to get more power to the drive. LET'S BE CLEAR HERE -> USB powered drives are hit and miss. It's a known problem.
Bob

Collapse -
hub
by wb2001 / July 18, 2010 4:37 AM PDT

Are you using the "same" hub with all computers. Try without the hub.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?