Mac OS forum

Resolved Question

Unix executable file

by Bobananda / November 12, 2013 5:00 AM PST

I recently obtained a G5 (powermac 7.2 running 10.5.8) after being exiled on a pc for two years. I opened a CD containing files I saved from my previous Mac (a G4 running 10.3.9) on the G5. Most of the files opened with no problem. However, nearly all of the articles I wrote (using Appleworks, saved as RTF documents) showed up on the G5 as a "Unix executable file." I don't even know what that is, except for the reference to Unix.
I know very little about Unix. Is there anything I can do to salvage these documents?
As a secondary question, will the hard drive from the G4 work if I install it in the G5?
Thank you for your help.

Bobananda has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unix executable file
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unix executable file
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Bobananda

Collapse -
Answering the Secondary Question
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 12, 2013 7:34 AM PST
In reply to: Unix executable file

The drive from the G4 will not work in the G5 as the connections are entirely different.

The G4 drive is an IDE device and uses a much wider connector and power plug.
The G5 drive, on the other hand, is a SATA device and uses very small, not even close, connectors.

If you really want to use the G4 drive, then purchase a USB IDE hard drive enclosure and mount the drive inside it.
Connect to the USB port and off you go.

P

Collapse -
Answer
You need something to work with RTF content.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2013 5:06 AM PST

I can't guess what word processor you have on that but I bet it has a browser. Does Google Docs understand these RTF files? It does here.
Bob

Collapse -
My reply
by Bobananda / November 12, 2013 6:32 AM PST

The only word processor installed isTextEdit. I will probably install Apache OpenOffice. But TextEdit reads RTF documents. Let me see if that works.

TextEdit works, but in a problematic manner. Above and below the text is a bunch of gobbledygook. Also, weird symbols pop up at random places in the text which must be deleted. In addition, the formatting isn't as it was originally saved. Finally, graphics which were included, mostly pictures, are omitted entirely.
So, TextEdit allows me to salvage the documents. But a lot of work will be required to restore each one. Some can not be restored to their original state.

Is there an application you can recommend which might open these RTF files in their original condition? Or Google Docs, perhaps? (I hope using Google Docs doesn't require me to sigm up with them.)

Thanks for your input.

Collapse -
You can sign up and use a disposable account.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2013 6:50 AM PST
In reply to: My reply

I can't guess what's going on with the reply here but textedit would do as you noted. You'll need Word or similar to see it all but what RTF is well done so I didn't duplicate the web here. I understand some folk don't want anything to do with the internet.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Regarding the HDD question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2013 5:11 AM PST

Sorry but I can't find make/model of the drives but some have trouble getting SCSI all setup. If it's SCSI then I would get a guru on it.
Bob

Collapse -
Not SCSI
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 12, 2013 7:35 AM PST

IDE on the G4 and SATA on the G5

P

Collapse -
I recall some folk adding a SCSI card and drives.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2013 8:05 AM PST
In reply to: Not SCSI

That was years ago in a far away place.

I agree some USB IDE enclosure would be best but such old drives were usually so small that I rarely get a case for them. I use a cable like this -> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=2020 because I can use that on almost all drives then we tell them to donate the old drive as it's usually past its prime and not safe to put data on or even think about it as "storage."
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!