Samsung forum

General discussion

Universal Studios blu-ray discs not working?

by wklinger / September 7, 2010 11:19 AM PDT

I recently tried to play "A Serious Man" on my BDP-3600 with the latest firmware, but the movie would not load. I am able to see the load screen, the Universal Studios globe intro, but then the signal from my TV (also a Samsung) to the player is lost and does not return. I had the exact same problem with another recent Universal release, "Land of the Lost".

Is this a problem common to Universal discs that can be addressed in a firmware update? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Universal Studios blu-ray discs not working?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Universal Studios blu-ray discs not working?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
previous post
by wklinger / September 7, 2010 11:22 AM PDT
Collapse -
Problems with Samsung BDP1600 playing Blu-Rays from Warners
by pilotdug / September 8, 2010 7:07 AM PDT

Clash of the Titans (Rental version) will not get past the promos. The player freezes once it's at the stage where it should be loading the main menu. I tried two separate discs and they both looked fine in terms of cleanliness.

Any idea when this will get fixed? I heard it was an issue with the latest firmware update on both Warners and Universal titles, though I was able to play A Serious Man, from Universal, without a problem.

It seems like there are SOOOOO many compatibility issues with Samsung Blu Ray players. Is this common among Blu Ray players or is it mainly Samsung? This isn't the first time I've had an issue.

Dogu

Collapse -
Firmware Update
by phugger / September 8, 2010 8:33 AM PDT

The v2.09 firmware had some serious problems. This has been discussed here a lot. The initial solution was to roll back to the previous version which was made available as a short term fix. They have now fixed these issues (at least for me) with the v2.12 firmware. It's not available for over the internet updates yet, but you can get it from their site and perform a USB Upgrade (much, much faster). I tried all of my failing disks and they now work.

Here is the link to the Samsung support site -

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/download/supportGlobalDownloadPrdDetail.do

Hope this helps,
PCH

Collapse -
by wklinger / September 8, 2010 8:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Firmware Update

Great, thanks for the update phugger. At least Samsung appears to be aware of the issue. Last time I tried a USB update I bricked my player, so I'll wait for the internet update.

Collapse -
by THEFERMANATOR / September 8, 2010 2:33 PM PDT
In reply to: 2.12

It pretty well bricked mine as well. I upgraded to 2.09 and could no longer watch BD, but DVD's were fine. AFter updating to 2.12 I still can't watch BD, and now DVD's crash midway through. Thanks SAMSUNG.

Collapse -
Firmware update for BDP1600 player
by pilotdug / September 8, 2010 9:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Firmware Update

Thanks very much for the information. I will download and try that tonight. Much appreciated!

Doug

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.