General discussion

Universal remote

Right now I'm operating my TV, a Sharp AQUOS LC40E77U, DirectTV, and my BluRay player, an LG BD550, all with three separate remotes. I'm looking for a universal remote that will operate all the features in all my devices. I found that I can program some of these remotes, but you can't do all the features that each device offers. Anyway, which remote should I get? Thanks.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Universal remote
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Universal remote
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
First though.

I'm thinking the Logitech Harmony.

- Collapse -
I second that, The Harmony's are by far the best universal

remotes out there. They are easy to set up (plug them into your computer and tell it what components you have and how you want them to work via a step by step setup program) and they do a whole sequence of things via the push of one button (watch TV would turn on your cable box TV and AV receiver turn them all to the right inputs and assign the appropriate control buttons across the remote (volume controls the AVR, channels control the cable box, etc).

They are not perfect (sometimes thinhs get out of synch and you need to shut everything down manually and start over) and there are still too many buttons for my taste, but they are heads and shoulders above the competition.

- Collapse -
Thanks!

Any specific model I should look at?

- Collapse -
Love mine

I have a Harmony One. It was pretty expensive but it was worth it. Harmony has a very good support forum to help you.

CNET Forums

Forum Info