Samsung forum

General discussion

Universal Pictures blu-rays won't play since July in Samsung

by djdickerson / August 5, 2010 7:17 AM PDT

Since July Universal Pictures dvd's I get from Netflix do not play. I have sent them back with error reports. Disney and all other releases play in my Samsung BD-P3600XAA player. All other functions such as playing regular dvd's, Netflix, Pandora & Youtube work.Is there a fix for this? Does this have somethiing to do with Universal's new copyguard protection or something like that?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Universal Pictures blu-rays won't play since July in Samsung
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Universal Pictures blu-rays won't play since July in Samsung
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try one thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2010 7:39 AM PDT

Turn off your network connection so BD LIVE can't call home or run.

Worth a try.

Collapse -
To : R. Proffitt
by djdickerson / August 9, 2010 1:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Try one thing.

Thanks for the help. Your idea worked. I tried disconnecting the internet connection and the Universal blu-ray played. After I was finished I re-connected the internet and tried it again. It WOULD NOT PLAY. Obviously, something is happening to prevent it playing. When I called Samsung they were totally unaware of the situation. They wanted me to send my blu-ray in for repair. However, I think it is a matter of an update which they have not figured out yet. Hope others don't have this problem. Once again, thanks!!

Don

Collapse -
Others do have this problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2010 1:34 AM PDT
In reply to: To : R. Proffitt

BD copy protection and more is in play here. The internet disconnect is not my idea but from those that had this and other issues.

Another nugget of wisdom is to never update the firmware unless you have a good reason.

Bob

Collapse -
Samsung doesn't have a clue!!!
by djdickerson / August 12, 2010 4:29 AM PDT

Regarding the previously stated problem: I have called Samsung and have chatted online. They will not even admit to speaking to anyone with the same problem much less admit there is a problem. My choices are a. send my blu-ray in for repair or b. check for updates. BD live is probably checking the HDCP compliancy and that is preventing the Universal disks from playing. So as long as they will play when I disconnect I see no reason to let them "play" with my blu-ray any further. This is like Toyota at 1st denying that their accelerators stick. Hope others with this problem get this information.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 12, 2010 4:36 AM PDT

I read your reply to me and did you want to start a discussion?
Bob

Collapse -
Reply to Bob
by djdickerson / August 12, 2010 7:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

Bob, I am so new to these boards that I didn't realize I was replying again. I was just posting an update. That's all. Would like to hear about this from some Samsung technicians so yes I guess I would like to start a discussion.

Don

Collapse -
Samsung doesn't have a clue!!!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 12, 2010 12:15 PM PDT

djdickerson,

I'm sorry for not responding earlier.

Between the time that these complaints have come in regarding specific studios, we've made the previous version available online at the Samsung website. You can find that here for the BD-P3600 (v. 2.07):

http://tinyurl.com/36yg8yn

You can install that using the disc or the thumbdrive, and it will allow you to play the titles after it resets. I do apologize for the inconvenience, and I'll be happy to forward your observations to the appropriate department.

--HDTech

Collapse -
To Samsung Tech
by djdickerson / August 13, 2010 7:24 AM PDT

Thanks for the upgrade information. I hope the fix works. Will give it a try today and get back to you.

Also. thanks Bob.

Don

Collapse -
Message to HD Tech
by djdickerson / August 13, 2010 9:39 AM PDT

Since you are in the HD department maybe you can help me with my Sansung HLS5687WX/XAA DLP TV. I have an extended warranty #12530806.
Currently my TV is going black intermittently as though the lamp is burning out and sometimes the picture freezes (totally unrelated to satellite or dvd operations.) This happens in all modes. I filed a ticket for repair two weeks ago. A local repair place called and told me my TV was out of warranty. I called Samsung and filed a second ticket. (the other one had been canceled) No one called about the second ticket. I went online to discover that it too had been canceled.
A week ago I filed a 3rd ticket for this repair. It has been a week and no one has called to repair. The current ticket is 4007064785. When I call Samsung to ask about it I get the run-around. I was told that I need to call extended warranty not Samsung support. I called and was connected to the same people. The local repair shop has said they received notice of the ticket but are waiting for Samsung's ok. So now I am starting my 3rd week of waiting for this repair.

you get the picture? So when my bluray began acting up I didn't have a lot of confidence in SAmsung at this point.

Can you see that this gets to the right people???

Thank you.

Collapse -
Message to HD Tech
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 13, 2010 12:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Message to HD Tech

djdickerson,

What company is the extended warranty through?

I'm not able to help with service issues, but if it's something I can pass to someone I think can help, I'll be happy to escalate it. If it was purchased at a retail store (the extended warranty, that is), then it may not be redeemable through Samsung, but through that company.

--HDTech

Collapse -
SAMSUNG EXTENDED WARRANTY
by djdickerson / August 13, 2010 8:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Message to HD Tech

The extended warranty # 12530806 is through SAMSUNG (1-800-726-7864)

DEALER:

SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS
C/O SERVICE NET RETAIL SOLUTIONS, LLC
650 MISSOURI AVENUE
JEFFERSONVILLE, IN 47130

MODEL NUMBER HLS5687WX/XAA

The contract is on form 07-SAMSUNG-AM 101

Ticket number 4007064785

Hope you can help. Nothing has happened going on 3 weeks after my initial call for service.

Collapse -
SAMSUNG EXTENDED WARRANTY
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 17, 2010 12:29 AM PDT

djdickerson,

I didn't realize the warranty was through Samsung. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

In that case, you'd have to contact 800-SAMSUNG again and inquire about the status of your repair. They should be able to set you up with a repair facility in your area and get your repair moving forward.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Ruf file does not fix my bdp3600
by djdickerson / August 15, 2010 10:42 AM PDT

I downloaded and unzipped the file per your instructions. I loaded it on to the cd and put it in my blu-ray player. What comes up next is this "Error on upgrade data - please try again" . The second time I try it aways shuts down. The file I download is Bev2.07_100315_BDP3600_XAA_ISO.ZIP and unzips into a .RUF file. Am I doing this correctly? If so, it does not work. I noticed that first it unzips to a .ISO file and then .Ruf. Any ideas??

Collapse -
Waiting for Samsung Tech to respond......
by djdickerson / August 18, 2010 4:15 AM PDT

Please note in previous message my blu-ray player gives me an error message when I run the fix.

Collapse -
Ruf file does not fix my bdp3600
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 18, 2010 12:51 PM PDT

djdickerson,

The ISO files is a disc image. Double clicking that should launch your Nero, EZCD, or other burning software. I don't know why it would be unzipping to both formats.

The .RUF is for thumb-drives.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Re: ISO & RUF file
by djdickerson / August 18, 2010 3:34 PM PDT

Thanks for the clarification. So the ISO file is what I want? I click on that image and it goes from there. The WINRAR which contained the file after I downloaded it confused the issue. Does it matter if I load it on CD-R or CD-RW?

Collapse -
Re: ISO & RUF file
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 18, 2010 5:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: ISO & RUF file

djdickerson,

I've always used once-right media. I imagine you could use -RW media, but I've never personally done it.

The ISO file would be the CD, the RUF will be the thumb-drive file. Same firmware, but different formats for the different media types.

--HDTech

Collapse -
BDP3600 Upgrade with ISO file doesn't seem to work
by djdickerson / August 19, 2010 2:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: ISO & RUF file

I'm sure I am doing it correctly. I downloaded the file (BEv2.07_100315_BDP3600_XAA) and then extracted the zip files. I clicked on the disc image and nero burned it to a cd. Then when I put it in my bdp3600 blu-ray player I got an error message. It said:

Firmware Update

Error in update file!

and then it shut down after automatically opening and closing the tray.

Any other ideas??

Don

Collapse -
Ruf file does not fix my bdp1590 either
by DezMix / August 20, 2010 2:17 AM PDT

I get the same exact error messages and the player shuts off.

Samsung needs to allow us to downgrade these player's firmware if we want to.

Collapse -
Reply to DesMix
by djdickerson / August 20, 2010 3:34 AM PDT

My current update is 2.09 so it will not accept an older update such as the 2.07 Samsung has posted. I spoke with an online tech who said there is no way to remove the current upgrade to do this. He said something about flashing the drive at a risk of damage so we're back to square 1. Since this update doesn't work I just unplug my internet connection whenever a disk won't play because the unit "phoned home" and got some blocking restriction via internet. It works for me that way. Guess I'm stuck with that but it does work for me. Good luck.

Collapse -
(NT) Universal discs wont play in my sony either
by M_Cage / September 13, 2013 12:03 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.