Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Unistalling Media Player

by ssocky / November 26, 2004 8:33 PM PST

Im having troubles with WMP10 it can not play copied mp3's. Is there any setting I have to remove or add to it in order to play the music? If not how do I unistall it..PLEASE HELP

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unistalling Media Player
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unistalling Media Player
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Unistalling Media Player
by glb613 / November 26, 2004 8:36 PM PST

Go to the control panel then add/remove programs. There you can uninstall media player. Here is a site where you can find older verions of programs. You might try installing a previous version of media player and see if it works.

http://www.oldversion.com/

Collapse -
by ssocky / November 26, 2004 9:53 PM PST

The issue is that Media Player is not listed in the "ADD/REMOVE Programs". Thanks for the link to get the older versions.

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / November 26, 2004 10:24 PM PST

It is at Add/Remove Windows Components. A tab away... seems that it can only be 'disabled' but not uninstalled. Perhaps installing an older version will over-written it ? Perhaps you also have the older version lurking in there as well, in which case you only have to uncheck version 10 and check version 9. Do post back to report how it goes.

Collapse -
by Coryphaeus / November 26, 2004 11:24 PM PST
Collapse -
by djsense / December 5, 2004 2:24 PM PST

No dice for me. Removed "access", but cannot install MP9 as I enjoyed that a lot more for what I do. Can't get rid of MP10 nor override it with MP9. Any other suggestions? Thx.

Collapse -
Try the WMP MINI FAQ.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2004 10:54 PM PST

The olderversion web link is about 90% of what you need. May I offer this FAQ? Type WMP MINI FAQ into google.com and you'll find a FAQ with some noted on how to remove WMP.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Try the WMP MINI FAQ.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 5, 2004 7:29 PM PST
In reply to: Try the WMP MINI FAQ.

Also try this,

In your Search, (Start > Search), type in mplayer2.exe and see if you have it on your system.

If so, try that. It is WMP 6/7.

If not, google it.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: Try the WMP MINI FAQ.
by djsense / December 7, 2004 11:59 AM PST
In reply to: Try the WMP MINI FAQ.

That was great info...many thanks Bob.

Collapse -
by Native_Texan / December 6, 2004 6:05 AM PST

I also am having issues. Can you just right click the file in c drive and click delete. it says it may cause some things not to work. w
ondering if this is safe to delete, if anyone knows

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 6, 2004 7:14 AM PST

Tex it is "never" a good idea just to delete a program file in any folders on your hard drive.

If you want to uninstall a particular program, either use the program's uninstall option, (if it has one), or use Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

Very occasionally will a program be installed in just it's own folder and nowhere else.In which case deleting the folder will probably delete the whole progam and its associated files. But too often the install routine will install files all over the place, particularly in the Windows/System32 folder, and you never know. So by removing a program file, (eg an ".exe" file), you only remove one minor part of the program, and all the rest of the rubbish stays where it is.

In particular, Windows Media Player 9, (and 10), has become inherently glued to Windows in recent years, the same as Internet Explorer, and removing part of it may make some parts of Windows not workable.

If you are having issues with WMP, just leave it, and forget about it. Use another player instead.

Mark

Collapse -
by Native_Texan / December 6, 2004 7:25 AM PST

Thanks, will do that and just ignore it. sometimes that is the only way i can seem to get rid of spyware folders is to delete from program files by right click. that is when there is NOT a uninstall and or a program in add & remove. maybe it hasnt been working all this time and I thought it was. oops! so then how do you remove if there is not a uninstall button or add/remove ? like right now there is a folder in there that says xerox(it is empty) inside that is another empty folder that says nwwia?? I was just fixing to right click and delete it.

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 7, 2004 7:25 PM PST

Hi again Tex,

Tex I think you are confusing removing spyware and uninstalling legitimate programs.

With the folder you found called Xerox, and the sub-folder inside called nwwia, have a look at this CNet forum post below.
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=44981&messageID=549444

You will see that these folders are benign, and don't do anything, so in your case I don't see why you cannot delete them. Just leave them in your Recycle Bin for a few days or a week, and if you have no problems, empty them from the bin.

But I think you will find quite a few empty folders on your system. I know I have on my Dell computer from the factory installation of Windows. I haven't bothered to remove them. They take up little hard disk space, and don't affect my computer performance at all.

But removing spyware, if you find any, and removing legitimate programs are different things.

If you use an anti malware suite, eg;
An anti-virus program.
An anti Adware program.
An anti Spyware program,

then you should let these porgrams remove any spyware for you. They know what they are looking for and know how to remove them. Many of these spyware programs make changes to the Windows Registry, and so just removing the spyware program itself isn't enough all too often. But the anti-malware programs know how to remove the program files and restore the registry entries.

But removing legitimate programs is a different matter. Like I said in my previous post, you should use the program's own Uninstall feature, or if it doesn't have one, use Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel.
Sometimes, neither the Add/Remove nor the Uninstall program will remove "everything" from a program's installation; eg there may be orphan files in the program's original folder. But you can remove them after you have used either Add/Remove or the program's own Uninstall program.

Personally I rarely delete folders on my computer that were there when I brought the computer. If I have made folders on the hard drive, then I know I can safely delete them if necessary. But not factory folders.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?