HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

unistalling driveres help?

by hannah_102 / July 16, 2008 9:19 PM PDT

Hello,

I am having some problems with my drivers on my PC, they keep giving me a ?blue screen of death? so I have decided to uninstall them, however I was looking at the uninstall guide and I did not understand step 7
Here the link to the uninstall guide. http://www.voyager.bt.com/selfhelp/s...nstall_win.htm

What does it mean by ?explore the 105 CD?? do I have to insert a CD or something at this point or does this screenshot automatically appear?

Also the last step requires me to reboot my pc, if I click reboot would I loose all my data that is saved on my PC? what happens when I reboot, will the PC start again as normal? or do I have to insert a CD or something?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: unistalling driveres help?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: unistalling driveres help?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: uninstalling drivers
by Kees Bakker / July 16, 2008 9:47 PM PDT

First of all, the link doesn't work. Part of it is replaced by ... Can you post a working link?

- Why do you think it's those drivers that give the blue screen?
- What device are we talking about?
- The usual way to uninstall drivers is to delete the device from Device Manager. But I think it's more that drivers here.

What I think:
- "exploring the cd" means "put in the cd and open it in My Computer or Windows Explorer". I can't say more at the moment because the link doesn't work
- "rebooting" is no more than shutdown and start again (without the CD in the drive). You won't lose any more data than you loose every night/morning when you do the same. So you won't lose anything that you did save.

Kees
-

Collapse -
uninstlling drivers
by hannah_102 / July 16, 2008 10:05 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: link
by Kees Bakker / July 16, 2008 10:12 PM PDT
In reply to: uninstlling drivers

Hannah,

It is as I thought. In step 6 you clicked No, I don't want to reboot now.

Now, insert the CD and in My Computer browse to it. Once you've done that step 7 instructs you to doubleclick Remid.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
uninstalling driver
by hannah_102 / July 16, 2008 10:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: link

Also the reason I think it's the drivers that are causing the blue screen error is because when I restart my computer I get a message saying 'your computer has recovered from a serious error send error report to Microsoft'. which I do and than another screen appears telling me the problem was caused by ADSL USB Modem (glausb.sys). So the drivers must be corrupt right?

p.s sorry about my lack on technical language! I don?t know much about computers.

And are you sure I wont loose any of my work? Cause I got a lot of my college work on there, and if I loose it I might just die!

Collapse -
105 CD
by hannah_102 / July 16, 2008 10:25 PM PDT
In reply to: uninstalling driver

Hey I just realised I don?t actually have the 105 CD, I only have the CD AOL provided me with and that was How the drivers were installed, if I insert that CD than I don?t think I can do step 7, because that CD starts up my AOL account! all it gets you to do is follow the on screen prompts. what do you recommend I do?

Collapse -
Re: CD
by Kees Bakker / July 16, 2008 10:28 PM PDT
In reply to: 105 CD

Keep shift pressed when you insert the CD. Nothing will happen then and you can open it in My Computer.

If that doesn't work, I'm sure there is a "cancel" button somewhere to click on before anything serious happens. Then, after canceling, you can do your step 7.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: uninstalling driver
by Kees Bakker / July 16, 2008 10:26 PM PDT
In reply to: uninstalling driver

You seem to be right about that message. But I hope you realize that your ADSL (Internet connection) won't work anymore after you uninstall that driver. So I hope you've got some other way to get to the Internet.
And there's no need to send the report to Microsoft if it's caused by BT software. Did you already contact their helpdesk? If it's their program, they should now what to do about it.

No need to make an excuse for your language. It's perfectly understandable.

I'm sure you won't lose any of your work. Once you've uninstalled your driver, however, go our Computer Newbies forum and ask them for advice on BACKUP. That's making a copy of your precious work on some other device (like a CD or DVD or USB-stick or external hard disk) so you won't lose it your computer breaks down or gets a serious virus or you delete the original just by accident. Tell them how much data you have (maybe pictures and music also, or do you use this machine for schoolwork only?). Better be safe than sorry, isn't it?

Kees

Collapse -
re: 105 CD
by hannah_102 / July 16, 2008 10:34 PM PDT

oh thanks I will check that out,

and no I don?t had any other way of getting on the internet, I was thinking on uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, that would surely fix the problem?

and I am still stuck on step 7 as I don?t think I have the CD they are talking about.

I know I should change from using BT voyager 105 USB ADSL modem, as it is quite outdated.

What do you recommend I do?

Collapse -
Re: uninstalling
by Kees Bakker / July 16, 2008 10:40 PM PDT
In reply to: re: 105 CD

If you don't have the CD, how could you reinstall the drivers then? Moreover, it isn't sure it would fix the problem. If it would, it would do so without uninstalling also, most of the time. Just reinstall the same drivers from the same CD as you did when you got the modem.

What I should do: contact your ISP that gave you the modem. They might have a newer one, all ready to install, coming with a CD, or recommend you one that then mention the setup instructions of on their help pages. Or they might know what to do about the current error.

Kees

Collapse -
blue screen
by hannah_102 / July 16, 2008 10:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: uninstalling

Okay thanks for your help I shall try out what you have suggested.

thank you!

And just one more question =)

If I just left things as they were would that damage my computer? Cause all I do is just restart my PC every time I get the blue screen error. It happens every few week or so?

Collapse -
(NT) No it wouldn't damage anything. Just annoying.
by Kees Bakker / July 16, 2008 11:41 PM PDT
In reply to: blue screen
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.