Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Uninstalling Windows XP full Home Edition

by Leadfootlily / May 25, 2005 12:28 PM PDT

I have Windows XP Full Home Edition on my computer and some programs (cd's) require either windows 95 or 98 in order to run. How do I completely uninstall my Windows XP Full Home Edition and then install windows 98 (with the recognition of windows 95) and then the upgrade to Windows XP? I have all of these cd's.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Uninstalling Windows XP full Home Edition
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Uninstalling Windows XP full Home Edition
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm not quite certain I read this correctly.
by Steven Haninger / May 25, 2005 1:33 PM PDT

You mentioned installing 98 and then upgrading to XP but you have a full version of XP Home and not an upgrade version. Are you wanting to know if you can install 98 and then upgrade to XP on the same partition and expect 98 to still be there to handle older programs? If so, that's not going to work. You have two options. You can use fdisk to delete all partitions from the drive and then create a primary partition for Win 98 using only part of the drive. Let 98 format and install itself. Use the XP CD to partition and format the remainder of the drive. You should now be presented with options at boot as to which OS to use. You might also consider just leaving your XP drive alone and get a second drive to install 98. You should be able to select the boot drive by entering the BIOS to do so. It's an extra step but keeps things a bit cleaner in my opinion.

Collapse -
uninstalling the FULL Version of Windows XP
by Leadfootlily / May 31, 2005 1:20 AM PDT

Okay, you misunderstand...... (1) I currently have the FULL Version of Windows XP Home Edition on my computer. (2) Some programs (not compatible with Windows XP) will NOT install onto my computer. (3) I DO HAVE THE UPGRADE VERSION OF WINDOWS XP (AND THE UPGRADE OF WINDOWS 98SE, AND WINDOWS 95). (4) How do I "UNINSTALL", my current FULL version of Windows XP and go back to everything else??? (5) I tried to do something in "Disk Management", but, have not been successful! ANY help would be appreciated.

Collapse -
This is unlikely to happen.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 31, 2005 1:26 AM PDT

Here's why. If there was an uninstall, you would have used it.

As it stands you get to wipe out the system and set it up as you want.

OR... You can add Windows 98 per my supplied links.

Bob

Collapse -
In addition to the other post
by glb613 / May 25, 2005 8:27 PM PDT

Windows 98 may not recognize or be able to run the hardware installed. So if you try to install that operating system alone, the computer won't work.

Have you tried to use the compatiblity feature included with XP? It sometimes will allow you to install and run older programs or games.

Collapse -
Have you installed Windows lately?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2005 8:58 PM PDT

The driver issues alone are beyond most. Many only learn about motherboard drivers this way (or all the other drivers.) Microsoft does not get the drivers for us.

-> How about adding Windows 98 instead. This way you can keep the current working XP install and work on you 98 install (just as much work) plus when you realise that 98 isn't working either, then you can remove 98 without having to install XP again.

Here's the article about this -> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm

There is no support for either method you use, so be sure you know what you are getting into.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.