Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Uninstalling Windows Vista Home Premium on old laptop

by fulltimejimcat / March 5, 2009 6:39 AM PST

I have a Compaq Presario V2000 laptop with 512 mb ram memory that had Windows XP installed when I purchased it approximately 5 years ago. The computer locked up so I installed the XP recovery disc which installed a copy of XP on the laptop (two xps on laptop). With two XP's on the laptop, I couldn't use the computer as some of the programs were lost. I recently installed Windows Vista Home Premium on the laptop. It works but is very slow! I know that I can purchase more memory for it but was wanting to uninstall Vista and re-install XP without purchasing more memory.

How do I uninstall Vista and reinstall XP?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Uninstalling Windows Vista Home Premium on old laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Uninstalling Windows Vista Home Premium on old laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just one thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2009 6:41 AM PST

Microsoft never supplied an uninstaller.

However you are always able to boot up some tool like GPARTED (see google) to delete the partitions on the hard disk so your next boot with your XP CD can create a new partition to install to.

As to the 2 XPs. Did anyone tell you to google BOOT.INI ?
Bob

Collapse -
Uninstalling Windows Vista Home Premium on old laptop
by anchor79 / March 9, 2009 9:49 AM PDT

Put the Windows XP disk into the cdrom/dvd rom drive and reboot computer. When the computer reboots you will probably see some option letting you boot from the cd follow the prompts. Once the windows installer loads you will want to follow the directions to repartition your harddrive and reinstall Windows XP as a clean install. Make sure to download any drivers you need and save them to an external hard drive or on a dvd-r, and backup any important files you may need.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?