Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

Uninstalling windows 7 & Re-installing it from ext hdd

by Newbie Chris / March 2, 2014 6:48 AM PST

Hi,my computer is running slow & somebody said to speed it up, I ought to uninstall my current windows 7 & Everything I have on my computer (I would think) & re-install my current windows 7 & Everything I have on my computer (from my ext hdd),I would Also think..
- HOW would I go about doing this ? I wouldn't need my windows 7 product key,would I,as I'm not sure How to find it,If I did...
Thanks

Newbie Chris has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Uninstalling windows 7 & Re-installing it from ext hdd
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Uninstalling windows 7 & Re-installing it from ext hdd
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Newbie Chris

Collapse -
Most computer now a days
by orlbuckeye / March 4, 2014 12:02 AM PST

allow you to make system restore disks. These usually have a system disk and a drivers disk. When you boot with the system restore disk your system will be set back to the factory defaults. That means you will have to install the drivers from the driver disk and you applications. Now if you backed up your data files you can copy to your system from where you copied them to.

Collapse -
1 way of Speeding up my Win7 computer ?
by Newbie Chris / March 5, 2014 1:25 AM PST

Hi. My home-made (Not by me) 'abc' computer is running slow,so somebody said 1 way of speeding it up would be Uninstalling Win7 (& Everything Else) and re-installing Win7 O/S (& Everything else,From my Ext HDD)... - I do Not have my Win7 installation dvd disc,But I Know my 'product key' cos I used a prog called magicaljellybean.com/productkey to find it.... Happy Does that help you to help me ? - Thanks... Happy

Collapse -
Answer
It's been a few decades and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2014 7:41 AM PST

I've yet to find a document on uninstalling Windows. That is we can wipe it out by removing it's partitions but can I ask what article you read about uninstalling the OS?

As to installing it from an external HDD that's not usual. That is, where are the instructions for that?

-> My advice is to install Windows in a supported way from the usual DVD.
Bob

Collapse -
Uninstalling Win7 & ALL my stuff,& then re-installing it...
by Newbie Chris / March 5, 2014 1:18 AM PST

Hi. My home-made (Not by me) 'abc' computer is running slow,so somebody said 1 way of speeding it up would be Uninstalling Win7 (& Everything Else) and re-installing Win7 O/S (& Everything else,From my Ext HDD)...
- I do Not have my Win7 installation dvd disc,But I Know my 'product key' cos I used a prog called magicaljellybean.com/productkey to find it.... Happy
Does that tell you anything ?

Collapse -
A few things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2014 1:25 AM PST

1. Since you found someone that claims there is an uninstall routine them have them share a link about it.

2. Somehow the Windows 7 OS was installed. Find out how they did that and repeat it.

I am being a little disingenuous about uninstalling Windows. Once in a while you encounter a client that thinks there is an uninstall. Well there was years ago under very specific conditions. It was when you installed one Windows version then an upgrade and Microsoft did have an uninstall in the Add/Remove Programs. Maybe this is why folk think there is some uninstall?

Since you have a product key and no Windows 7 DVD you have to replace what is missing. Think back to who you paid for the Windows 7 and ask them for it. It's not a free OS so you did pay.
Bob

Collapse -
Hi,sorry for the delay in getting back to you (all?).... :)
by Newbie Chris / March 13, 2014 10:29 AM PDT
In reply to: A few things.

To be honest (Do they write that tbh ?), I Dont Know How to uninstall Win7,Now U mention it.. Sad The professional engineer I bought this computer off who Both made & sold it to me has Now vacated the shop/workshop he used to work from, & has moved to somewhere new that I dont know where it is; & he's now changed his contact details,too (Maybe he went bankrupt,who knows ?). But he said he buys batches of 25 Win7's O/S's, at a time from microsoft (to get a discount from them),BUT I Dont know IF he bought 25 dvd's at that time or what ?
* Does that help ?
Thanks

Collapse -
Sounds like a volume license to me.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / March 13, 2014 10:37 AM PDT

And it's run it's course.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
I Forgot to ask.... :)
by Newbie Chris / March 13, 2014 10:46 AM PDT
In reply to: A few things.

Hi. IF I was going to Uninstall My Win7 (Which I'm Definately Arn't-Honest).....
- But IF I was - How would I go about it ?
Thanks

Collapse -
It would be a first.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2014 10:53 AM PDT
In reply to: I Forgot to ask.... :)

I've yet to find an uninstall feature in this OS for the OS. I can remove partitions, install over an os but have yet to find an "uninstall."
Bob

Collapse -
Uninstalling/Installing an O/S..
by Newbie Chris / March 14, 2014 8:13 AM PDT
In reply to: It would be a first.

Hi,All being well My O/s will be OK & I Wont need to uninstall it.... Happy
- I was only speaking 'theoretically' ie IF my O/S got Totally ruined...... (Lets Hope NOT.....)
Thanks v.much..... Happy

Collapse -
If the
by itsdigger / March 5, 2014 1:28 AM PST

Operating system is running fine but slow, maybe you just have too much on the HDD.

Why not go through everything and get rid of the unwanted junk you've accumulated and clean it up a bit. Look into your start menu and see what's running and maybe eliminate some of that also. You may also have some malware in there somewhere , have you scanned with Malwarebytes . Some Anti Virus software really slows things down too. Norton, Kaspersky and McCafee are known for this.

Digger

Collapse -
Even that is dangerous without their Windows 7 DVD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2014 1:36 AM PST
In reply to: If the

I wonder if they have a backup system that can restore the PC if the HDD fails? That key is usually useless.
Bob

Collapse -
Uninstalling/Installing Win7
by Newbie Chris / March 14, 2014 8:03 AM PDT

Hi. When I talked about Uninstalling windows I *THINK I was thinking about that in case it got corrupted,(and How I could get rid of it in that case; And I was wondering IF it could be restored from ext hdd in case I Cant find the guy who installed it in the first place from dvd. IF I Can't find him How Else can I restore it from Apart from ext hdd (which has a 'system image? + my files/folders stored in it ? - Thanks

Collapse -
That's a lot of questions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2014 8:09 AM PDT

Let's find all the questions in that paragraph and get some answers. But first, I can't guess where you are reading you "uninstall" Windows 7. Please supply a web link where you read that so we can get that misconception out of the discussion. We install the OS and it can replace the existing OS or there are ways to upgrade the OS and leave some files standing. But there hasn't been an uninstall feature for Windows 7 since, well, never.

The question appears to be "How Else can I restore it from Apart from ext hdd (which has a 'system image? + my files/folders stored in it ?"

Since that is your only source for this install, there is no other way. You may be a victim of someone installing a cracked Windows but the story is not complete yet. To fix that, you buy your own Windows and prepare for a clean install.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: restoring
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 14, 2014 8:13 AM PDT

If you made a system image, say half a year ago, then you can use that to bring everything on your computer (Windows, installed programs, your own music, pictures, document - EVERYTHING) back to how it was then, and you lose all your own mucic and pictures and documents and ALL that you made the last half year, unless you make a copy of those 'new' data first (on another external hard disk or on a USB stick or with Dropbox or so).

But if you didn't make a system image, you can't. And if you make a system image now and restore that, it's just as slow as it is now, because it is an exact copy. So that wouldn't help.

So it seems you need a Windows 7 DVD. But I wonder if you're up to installing it yourself.

Kees

Collapse -
Uninstalling/installing Win7....
by Newbie Chris / March 18, 2014 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: restoring

Hi...
On my present ext hdd is a "system image" + All my files folders I've backed-up,since then. Yesterday I analysed / de-fragged it (which Hadn't been done,Manually); for Ages; & its been running a Lot better since then....... Happy
- * When I Manually analyse/de-frag it, it seems to be done a LOT better than when my computer does it Automatically...... (For some reason).......
Thanks

Collapse -
Answer
u cant
by hmncube / March 3, 2014 3:01 AM PST
Collapse -
Uninstalling Everything from my computer&re-installing stuff
by Newbie Chris / March 5, 2014 1:22 AM PST
In reply to: u cant

Hi. My home-made (Not by me) 'abc' computer is running slow,so somebody said 1 way of speeding it up would be Uninstalling Win7 (& Everything Else) and re-installing Win7 O/S (& Everything else,From my Ext HDD)... - I do Not have my Win7 installation dvd disc,But I Know my 'product key' cos I used a prog called magicaljellybean.com/productkey to find it.... Happy Does that help you to help me ? - Thanks... Happy

Collapse -
Hi,Sorry 4 the delay in replying to U.... :)
by Newbie Chris / March 13, 2014 10:38 AM PDT
In reply to: u cant

Hi,I Havn't clicked on the 'link' you sent me,But I got my Product Key from a 'site' called magicaljellybean.com/productkey So I Dont know IF Your way from pcsupport.about.com is superior to mine Or mine to yours,Or IF they Both work out with the same Product Key (which theoretically they Should.... Happy
- Thanks

Collapse -
I smell cracked software here.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / March 13, 2014 10:42 AM PDT

Looks dodgy to me.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Uninstalling / Installing Win7.....
by Newbie Chris / March 14, 2014 8:30 AM PDT

Hi,Dont worry about My 'thumbs down'...... I Appreciate your interest in this matter,its running fine (My O/S), just now. Its Just that I was wondering (theoretically), IF it got corrupted (ie My windows 7 O/S), & I couldn't find the pro engineer with the original windows dvd who installed it in the first place & HOW could I restore my computer to full running order as cheaply & quickly as possible...... Happy
ie from my ext hdd..... (But it seems from what I read Here that I Can't restore it from my 'system image' inside my ext hdd), so if thats true I Suppose I'd just have to consult Another pro computer engineer IF I can't find the one that I bought This computer (Obviously containing This Win7) From...... Sad
- As I say,Hopefully Nothing untoward will happen to this O/S IN THE FUTURE..... Happy
Thanks. I just gave you 'thumbs down' as you were on the wrong track with the comment "I smell cracked software,here....)

Collapse -
Ok.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / March 14, 2014 8:42 AM PDT

So you have a system image on external hdd. Restoring from that should not be a problem.
Everybody should have a backup.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Can you ever remove Your win7 O/S off your old computer?
by Newbie Chris / March 31, 2014 2:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok.

Why Cant you ever remove Your 'old' win7 o/s, off your old computer? eg If you bought a Brand New computer (to transfer it from one computer to the brand new computer) ?

Collapse -
If the version
by itsdigger / March 31, 2014 2:24 AM PDT

of Windows came installed on the computer from the factory(OEM) it's locked to only that computer. It cannot be transferred to another.

Digger

Collapse -
Let's go with it's legit. Microsoft can replace lost media
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2014 8:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Virus issue
by nettechindia / March 29, 2014 11:05 PM PDT

Just try to restore all your factors and then uninstall your current window 7 some time due to virus issues also your pc gets slow.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.