General discussion

Uninstalling Ubuntu

I recently installed Ubuntu 9.04 and want to delete it out of my computer. I Installed into windows xp. So i went to add/remove progs and uninstalled it. but when i restart my computer i get to the boot screen an have chose from xp or ubuntu? why is this? please help. I have partitioned 5 Gb for ubuntu how can I get it back and use it for xp? can i got to the file "boot.ini" found in C drive and erase the text where it says 'C:\wubildr.mbr = "Ubuntu"' and change the value of partition from 1 to 0 in that file? will this help ? or is there a better way?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Uninstalling Ubuntu
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Uninstalling Ubuntu
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
The good news is
- Collapse -
Got it

I found out that I had to edit the boot.ini file by erasing the line which said ubuntu. i had trouble editing it from my computer because it was a read only file . then i found out that i had to go through the properties in my computer.
Start>My Computer>Right Click>Properties>Advanced>Click on Settings under Startup and Recovery>Click on Edit under Start Up> Delete the line with the text called ubuntu.
This is what I did. Now I doubt about the partition i made for ubuntu weather it will automatically merge with Xp or not.

- Collapse -
After that's done.

You can look at tools to merge the empty space after you remove the Ubuntu partition. I don't suggest merging partitions.

Here's how I tackle this one.

1. Backup the hard drive to some external using Clonezilla. I don't clone but save the entire drive to a file. Neat part is this file can be on some NTFS USB drive.

2. Now I can boot GPARTED and extend my XP partition to use up the vacant space.
Bob

- Collapse -
Partitioning

OK before i do that is there a way to know if i have lost any space? because i installed ubuntu inside Windows like a program, so i guess that if ubuntu has been uninstalled the space taken by it should be returned....am i correct?

- Collapse -
I can't know this.

Ubuntu can be installed in many ways. You claimed you used WUBI and installed it to some other partition. I have to take your word on this.
Bob

- Collapse -
Instalation

Ubuntu gave me 2 option: 1) insert the cd and use it as a demo and then install it 2) install it in windows and then use it then uninstall it like any other application. I use the 2nd one.

- Collapse -
This doesn't jive with your first post.

But we've covered how to backup and how to extend XP to use a partition you removed so you can extend the XP one.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thank You

Yes. thx but i feel its a bit complicated for the lvl of my computer experience i have only 4yrs exp.

- Collapse -
Then don't do anything?

You can wait it out till you have time to think it all over.

Nothing wrong with that.
Bob

- Collapse -
Re: uninstalling Ubuntu.

Make a copy of boot.ini (keep carefully!) and make it as it was before you installed Ubuntu. Possibly it's enough to delete that one line. But check with another XP PC or with this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022 that gives an example of the standard way of filling it.

To delete a partition and extend the partition 'before' it with the space you need a third-party partition manager. XP itself doesn't offer tools for that. But you might be able to format it and use it for storage.

Kees

CNET Forums