Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Uninstalling SP 2??? (Won't let me view webmail attachments)

by wgrayson / October 31, 2004 1:08 AM PDT

I posted this question a few weeks ago, and was given a link to one of the technical Knowledge base answers at the microsoft site on uninstalling the Security update.

The page had actually been removed from the microsoft site, and intuitively searching (remove SP 2 / uninstall SP 2) yielded no hits on the site.

Can the security update be uninstalled? It's not disrupting my system, but it's not allowing me to appropriately use my company's webmail service. When I want to view documents (word, PDFs, XL) to emails I receive on my work account but view through Explorer, I can no longer open the documents. I have to save them to my hard drive. This is an absolute pain!

When we view email attachments, I think Windows saves the document to a temporary system folder which allows us to open them, right? Now that SP2 is installed, when I click the attachment on a webmail message, I get the error message "Cannot find C\xxxxxxxxxxxx". This is probably that directory/folder attachments get parked in for viewing.

I DO NOT have this problem when I use Outlook Express (my home email account). I've also TURNED OFF the Pop-up blocker for my company webmail URL. I followed all the instructions for installing the service pack upgrade, including turning OFF Windows Firewall (because I already have one in place). Thanks to help from this forum, I had a very clean installation of Windows SP2 on my home system and my wireless notebook connected to my home network.

So, you see my problem. I really want to view attached documents through my company's webmail service, but I think SP2 is screwing it up. I don't mind removing SP2; I do feel pretty confident with my virus software and third-party firewall (zonealarm pro) already installed.

Thanks in advance,
W!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Uninstalling SP 2??? (Won't let me view webmail attachments)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Uninstalling SP 2??? (Won't let me view webmail attachments)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Uninstalling SP 2??? (Won't let me view webmail attachme
by roddy32 / October 31, 2004 1:08 AM PDT

I would think you would be better off fixing your problem instead of uninstalling SP2. You can always turn off the firewall in SP2 and use Zone Alarm if you wish to do so.This link may help correct your problem or you might be able to find a link off of it for your particular problem.I have seen something pertaining to your problem but I don't have time right now to go looking for it. I hope this helps.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842242

Collapse -
by wgrayson / October 31, 2004 7:12 AM PST

I actually have turned off Windows Firewall. But the link you've provided may help. My company is running an Outlook 5.5 webmail server version (OWA) -- whatever that stuff means in IT language. SP2 may be incompatible with the server; your provided link could have answers. Thanks. When I've got some time early this week, I'll spend some time troubleshooting the problem.

Collapse -
by John Robie / October 31, 2004 12:41 PM PST
Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / October 31, 2004 9:59 PM PST

1. The article [Q304694] explains that if you attempt to send a Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) Web page by e-mail by pointing to Send on the File menu and then clicking Page by E-mail, you or the receiver of the e-mail may experience any of the following symptoms:

? Only the HTML file is sent as a file attachment with an .htm extension. Embedded content, such as graphics or ActiveX controls, is not sent.

? Only the HTML file is sent as an attachment with a .txt extension. Embedded content, such as graphics or ActiveX controls, is not sent.

Note: The appropriate procedures outlined in this article is to ensure the entire page content is correctly included:

a. open the Web page wanting to send, and then click Save As on the File menu.

b. in the Save as type box, click Web Archive, single file (*.mht), and then click Save.

c. open this archived (.mht) file saved in the previous step, point to Send on the File menu, and then click Page by E-mail.

2. Outlook Express v6 with or without the option set to "Read All Messages in Plain Text" (Tools, Options, Read tab under Reading Messages), [Q811337], [Q291387], and "Using Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 1 in a Managed Environment."

3. The article [Q883260] discusses the Attachment Manager (WinXP SP 2) which handles both e-mail attachments and Internet downloads and how different file types are handled based on their file extension. If an attachment is identified that might be unsafe, you cannot open the file, or you receive a warning. The following determines which:

? The type of program that you are using.

? The file type that you are downloading or trying to open.

? The security settings of the Web content zone that you are downloading the file from.

a. The article [Q320454] discusses and contains information about the "Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer" tool (MBSA) (click to see a screen shot) that centrally scans Windows-based computers for common security misconfigurations and generates a "report" (click to see an example).

b. "ShieldsUP" is the Internet's quickest, most popular, reliable, most powerful, complete and trusted free online Internet security checkup and information service where at this site you can check your system for vulnerability and begin learning about using the Internet safely.

Note: The Attachment Manager classifies files that you receive or that you download as high, medium, or low risks based on the listed file type and the file name extension in this article.

4. Supplemental reading:

a. "Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2."

b. "Outlook Express 6 - Using Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 in a Managed Environment: Controlling Communication with the Internet."

c. "Setting Up Security Zones."

d. "Chapter 27 - Security Zones."

e. "XML Page Cannot Be Displayed" Error Message When You Open An XML File Attachment in E-Mail (Q303487)."

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.