Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Uninstalling reformatting save clean registry

Is my understanding correct that when I clean my hard drive via an uninstall, I should then save a copy of the registry so that I will have it to go back to if a registry problem pops up later?

In case it might be helpful to some, I understand that I save a registry by:

Start>Run>regedit (to get to the Registry Editor dialog box)

>click Registry tab toolbar at the top of the Export Registry File dialog box (to get to the Excport Registry File dialog box)

>in that box, have the following settings:

Save In My Documents (unless you want to save elsewhere)

Save in as type Registration Files (*.reg) (this should already be there)

File Name: Use a file name that will that will help you remember (such as Reg 8/31/04)

>click Save.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Uninstalling reformatting save clean registry
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Uninstalling reformatting save clean registry
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Save registry settings when

In reply to: Uninstalling reformatting save clean registry

Perhaps I should add that one should save the registry settings any time he is going into the Registry to make changes, so that if the changes need to be deleted, he can install the saved registry settings. grandpaw

Collapse -
Okay, I'll stop trying to answer and just ask

In reply to: Save registry settings when

I would've sworn that back some time ago when I had posted something about reformatting, and said that maybe I should save the registry before doing that, someone said that it would make more sense to save the registry after I reformatted, when the registry was free from error. But I see that I was wrong. That happened once before many years ago. grandpaw

Collapse -
Well, in that scenario. . .

In reply to: Okay, I'll stop trying to answer and just ask

It might work. But probably not now that I think about it. After a reformat there are no programs or hardware specifics for a saved Registry to refer to.

Oh well.

As a general rule in W98, you could save the registry before you install a program, then, if there was a problem, uninstall the program and restore the registry. But that's a PITA. But not all registry entries are bad. I still use Norton System Works in my W98SE machine, and about once a month, if I have a lot of activity, I run Norton WinDoctor. It does a good job of clearing out unneeded/unused/obsolete registry entries.

As I have mentioned in another post, when you get your XP machine, go get RegscrubXP.

And by all means, keep those questions coming. It keeps me alert and I always learn something from others.

Collapse -
Grandpaw, What Type Of 'Uninstall'?

If you're referring to a typical uninstall of a normal program, normally, there is really no reason to save a copy of the registry. It won't hurt anything to save such a copy, but if you attempted to restore the registry after the uninstall, there would be unnecessary registry entries restore and possible errors would occur..

In addition, if you're doing a complete uninstall of the operating system, formatting, then reinstall, once again, there's really no need to save a copy of the registry since the reinstall of the operating system and any other programs will cause a new registry to be created.

In my opinion, the most common reason to make a backup copy of the registry is when you make registry edits manually.

Collapse -
Yep. . .

In reply to: Grandpaw, What Type Of 'Uninstall'?

Only backup the registry if you do some editing. And only then if you don't know what you're doing. Wink

When your move to XP, XP will do that for you in the form of a System Backup when you install a program. Usually, but especially on all XP updates.

Collapse -
A complete uninstall of the OS

In reply to: Grandpaw, What Type Of 'Uninstall'?

I guess what I'm not quite clear on is this. I understand that the reformat will produce a new registry covering the OS and any intalled programs. But what I was thiking is that if the registry got messed up somehow, say I installed AOL and then uninstalled it and I wanted to get any of it out of the registry, I was thinking that it would be helpful if I could just go back to the registry I saved before AOL. I realize that I will have saved registries for the past five days, but what if I wait more than five days to get rid of AOL?

I understand about backing up the registry before messing with it. But it looks like outsiders like AOL also mess with it.

But even a word to the unwise is sometimes sufficient. And I don't want to take up space with an unneed registry save. Which is why I'm going to delete the two saves I did recently before I went to the registry to kick AOL out.

Thanks for the input. grandpaw

Collapse -
Registry backup

In reply to: A complete uninstall of the OS

But what I was thiking is that if the registry got messed up somehow, say I installed AOL and then uninstalled it and I wanted to get any of it out of the registry, I was thinking that it would be helpful if I could just go back to the registry I saved before AOL. I realize that I will have saved registries for the past five days, but what if I wait more than five days to get rid of AOL?

And I don't want to take up space with an unneed registry save. Which is why I'm going to delete the two saves I did recently before I went to the registry to kick AOL out.

To perform a manual backup, click Start, Run, type scanreg, press Enter, and then follow the prompts. And if you do, a new cabinet is created and stored in the \SYSBCKUP folder by default replacing the original cabinet already created on the first boot of the day. You may progress to this folder, change the name of this cabinet file to anything you want but leaving the extension (.cab), and you'll have a specific registry backup for the specific time and date. Course, you will not have a cabinet for the first booting of that day however. If necessary, this could be overcome by:

a. Renaming the already existing rb00x.cab for that day's original boot to anything you want.

b. Then create a manual backup (as explained) would create a cabinet file that stays within the 0 - 5 that is found normally in the \SYSBCKUP folder.
Collapse -
''No''

Is my understanding correct that when I clean my hard drive via an uninstall, I should then save a copy of the registry so that I will have it to go back to if a registry problem pops up later?

In case it might be helpful to some, I understand that I save a registry by:

1. The registry is backed up daily for the last five days in Win9x (default set in the BackupDirectory key in SCANREG.INI).

2. The compressed x.CAB files (rb00x.cab, where "x" can be 0 to 5) are stored in the \SYSBCKUP folder by default but you may set this to anywhere you want. When the computer is booted each new day, the next number is created and after the default number (5) is reached, the older file is replaced.

Note: Increasing the number of stored backups may be useful but be aware that they require a lot of drive space. Even though the backups are stored in compressed form each could still require between 700kb to a couple of megs or more. If space on a drive becomes critical, you can edit SCANREG.INI and change the default to a smaller number or change the default location to a different drive, besides adding other files to it (Use Help Scanreg for further information).

Caveat: Setting the "Backup=" line to 0 (zero) in the SCANREG.INI file will circumvent Windows 98 from backing up the Registry totally. However, if the Registry isn't being backed up and this is not the cause, please read the Microsoft Knowledge Base article, subject "Registry Is Not Backed Up Automatically at Startup (Q198864)."

3. If the box labeled "ScanRegistry" is disabled in the "Startup" tab menu (System Configuration Utility (MSCONFIG)), the system registry will not be backed-up during boot.

4. From the MS-DOS prompt any of the backups can be restored, [Q184023]. Boot to the command prompt and type Scanreg /restore and then press enter. Follow the directions to select which backup you want based on date saved.

5. To perform a manual backup, click Start, Run, type scanreg, press Enter, and then follow the prompt.
Collapse -
Thanks to all

I'm afraid I'm falling in love with all you good people. grandpaw

Collapse -
Re: Uninstalling reformatting save clean registry

You do not "clean my hard drive via an uninstall"

If you want to clean your hard drive, you reformat and if you need to reformat, it means that your system is probably messed up, in which case, what is the point of saving your registry.

Mucking around with the registry is not recommended unless you really know what you are doing.

I recall you have an old pc which you have just replaced. If you just want to play around to learn, may I suggest you use that.

Collapse -
Thanks, Thor2k

In reply to: Re: Uninstalling reformatting save clean registry

Thor2k, I wasn't thinking about saving the registry before the reformat, but rather afterwards, when the registry was all bright and shiny, with the idea that if the registry then got screwed, either by me, AOL, or someone else, I could restore the virgin registry that I saved. But I now realize that that saved registry wouldn't have whatever entries were made on it after the save and which I needed to retain. I did indeed fool around with the registry when my old PC got messed up and wouldn't allow me to browse because I was totally frustrated and did save the registry as it existed before my messing around. grandpaw

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.