The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Uninstalling IE, I'm confused

by Tyrax / March 22, 2006 9:43 AM PST

It was mentioned on the 3/22 podcast that Tom and Molly want to be able to uninstall IE. I'm still confused about what people want when it comes to removing the web browser from windows. Does it mean:

-Remove the binaries which iexplore.exe loads in to function?
That will break a lot of things in the windows plaform such as rendering of help files, programs and services which communicate over http (web services), and apps which host the rendering engine.

or

-Disable access to the iexplore.exe
This seems much more reasonable. You can do this already.
Add/Remove Programs -> Set Program Access and Defaults -> Custom
and uncheck "Enable access to this program"

So, someone who is much more angry than I am, explain to me what you want.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Uninstalling IE, I'm confused
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Uninstalling IE, I'm confused
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
They mean...
by rtemp / March 22, 2006 10:40 AM PST

Removing the program and its functionality, but this is an issue right now for the very reasons you list in terms of breaking things.

There are a lot of people that don't want IE on their computers, but can't take it off because of the residual damages caused by removing the executable.

Hope that clears it up for you.

-Ryan

Collapse -
still confused
by Tyrax / March 22, 2006 11:17 AM PST
In reply to: They mean...

Still confused, I think its just the way people use terminology. For me when I see people say ''IE'' it means the executable ''iexplore.exe''. And that is just a wrapper around its Windows wide libraries to interface with the web.

I'm not aware of a full featured OS inwhich you can gut out those libraries. It breaks to many dependencied.

For example, Apple, I can disable access to Safari, but webkit is still on there serving the rest of the OS.

Similarly with KDE and GNOME there are libraries which applications use as dependencies to function. If you REALLY wanted to, you could rewrite these Open Source apps and develop a wrapper around Gecko to replace KHTML. But thats not very realistic.

So again, you don't want ''IE'' then disable access, but if you don't want parts of the Windows platform, then you should be prepared to use a crippled OS.

Let me know if I am wrong, and more importantly why.

Collapse -
Didn't MS Try To Uninstall IE For A Court Case?
by adkinsjm / March 22, 2006 11:54 AM PST
In reply to: still confused

I thought MS tried to show that uninstalling IE from the OS would cripple it since it is part of Windows Explorer. Anyone out there have a link for proof?

Collapse -
Found it!
by davemoyer2005 / March 22, 2006 11:56 AM PST
Collapse -
On a side note
by acedtect-20196213851867054973637995818137 / March 22, 2006 1:14 PM PST

I was talking about IE 7 being released separately so XP users could install it. I don't think we were meaning the issue of Microsoft making their browser and OS interface the same.

Collapse -
Personally...
by rtemp / March 22, 2006 3:31 PM PST

I don't understand the purpose of "disabling" a program. Unless, of course, I just don't know what it means, which is a definite possibility.
To me, what it's saying is that you have a program that you don't want to use on your computer sitting in the corner, idle. On a Windows machine I would be very leery of doing this because I assume that there would be a backdoor to use this program without my knowledge. I could be very,very wrong, but I prefer to think of worst-case scenario here. When I don't want anything anymore, I delete it. If I want it back, it sucks to be me.

On a Mac, it is true that Web Kit would be needed for other applications (e.g. iTunes), but I can delete Safari and not worry about the OS working incorrectly anymore. I have no such assurances on Windows, especially since I would have to go through unsupported means to get rid of IE. And goofing around with Linux too much scares me, so I won't even touch that.

Any better?

-Ryan

Collapse -
To answer your Mac question ...
by barret55 / March 22, 2006 10:45 PM PST
In reply to: Personally...

Yes, you could delete the Safari application, and the OS would not come to a screeching halt. I've had an instance where Safari took a nose-dive, and I had to remove it, and re-download it from Apple's website to get it to work.

Other than the Finder application, I don't really believe there are any other applications (like Safari) that would kill OS X if you deleted them. That's what I think anyway, so I could very well be wrong about it.

-Terry

Collapse -
ok
by Tyrax / March 23, 2006 3:08 AM PST
In reply to: Personally...

It sounds to me basically that you want to be able to remove the executable without damaging dependencies in the system. Ok that sounds reasonable, seems more out of spite than pure functionality, but ok.

In terms of "backdoor" access. If some malicious program had the ability to script and open an idle web-browser, then your system is already borked, opening IE couldn't make it any worse than it already is.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?