PC Applications forum

General discussion

uninstalling cnet download

by notjames / March 16, 2004 11:49 PM PST

This program is terrible! Not only did it not work very well but it will not uninstall. It seems to be invoked using rundll32.exe which when run with the proper parameters (tried both from gui and from cli -- RunDll32 C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\engine\6\INTEL3~1\Ctor.dll,LaunchiSetup -ether"C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{0B4686AE-A1A7-4477-B8EA-65033218474E}" -l0x9 /ku /kp /kc) the thing just spins taking up cpu resources.

I also learned that this software installed detectable spyware/adware from kontiki. What gives?! What else did you install on my machine without my knowing it?

ok, so, I want this software removed -- ALL OF IT! I hope that you folks at cnet will be responsible enough to be able to give me the proper technique for removing your software completely from my machine.

thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: uninstalling cnet download
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: uninstalling cnet download
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:uninstalling cnet download. It's a problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2004 12:14 AM PST

While it's unclear why Cnet is a bit two faced about pest, parasites and in short adware/spyware, it's clear that some of us will not allow such on our machines.

Light reading at http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

I can't solve this issue, but must note that if you pin down a "person" from Cnet, they won't suggest any pest/parasite/adware. But being driven by marketing and more, Cnet (not the people, but the orginization) can't help but offer AD-SPONSORED software.

Your choice on the matter at the end of the day.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:uninstalling cnet download. It's a problem.
by notjames / March 17, 2004 12:46 AM PST

Yeah. The whole spyware/adware/parasite (read your link -- quite informative) thing is quite annoying. So, anyway, I appreciate your post on the matter. I will continue to wait for a response to my problem.

Thanks! Happy

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:uninstalling cnet download. It's a problem.
by paqcom2005 / March 22, 2004 3:22 PM PST

Yes, I can tell you what I did with one program I Didnt like if you have windows 98 or 2000 , millenium or Just go to Control Panel and see were it say add or remove program. For XP Go to Control Panel then Click add or remove programs. Then It will give you a list of all of the program you have on your computer look for the one that you need to unistall click at the right side were it say change/remove it will remove it from the computer and if it does remove it or if it doesnt remove it maybe you have a virus or and adware software. Go to this site Http://www.lavasoftusa.com and download Ad- Aware 6.0 it is free. After it is dowloaded run it, it will open a window click were it say START and let it run after it finnish Click Next then Finish then click were it say Open Quarantine-List Select all the files then click delete thats it. Always Check for Updates.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:uninstalling cnet download. It's a problem.
by bjrackes / April 26, 2004 6:26 AM PDT

I've tried all that but to no avail. I use Spybot weekly to cleanse my PC of spyware and Kontiki doesn't even display in my "remove/change" app in control panel. I finally went through a complete search and deleted each file in the folder and was able to completely remove it. Not fun.

Collapse -
Re:uninstalling cnet download
by bjrackes / April 26, 2004 12:33 AM PDT

I can't get rid of Kontiki either. How did you finally do it? I've tried all the traditional Microsoft xp methods--remove programs, uninstall, etc. Help!!!

Collapse -
How do I Unsubscribe from CNET.downloads
by 585742 / May 18, 2006 6:39 AM PDT

Same as Subject title.

Collapse -
Instructions...
by John.Wilkinson / May 18, 2006 9:23 AM PDT

To unsubscribe from the newsletter e-mail:
1.) Go to download.com
2.) Log in if you're not already using the option along the top right corner.
3.) Click "View My Profile" from the top right corner.
4.) Click "Manage my newsletters" in the "About Me" box.
5.) Uncheck the box next to any newletters you wish to unsubscribe to.
6.) Click Update Account.
7.) The changes to your account will be confirmed via e-mail momentarily.

Note that the download.com newsletters are separate from the Cnet.com newsletters. To unsubscribe from a Cnet.com newsletter:
1.) Come to Cnet.com.
2.) Log in if you're not already using the option along the top right corner.
3.) Click "View My Profile" from the top right corner.
4.) Click "Manage newsletters" in the "Manage my account" box.
5.) Uncheck the box next to any newletters you wish to unsubscribe to.
6.) Click Submit.
7.) The changes to your account will be confirmed via e-mail momentarily.

Hope this helps,
John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!