Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Uninstaller Norton Alert Box

by slybo / March 2, 2010 6:51 PM PST

A friend and I have just bought two new computers, Hp p6320y with windows 7 64bit. It came with a trial Norton which both of us wanted to remove. I downloaded the remover from the web site. I first uninstalled it then ran the remover to be sure it was all gone. Both times this alert box which I have just started seeing with windows 7 came up after running the remover. It said something about did this program uninstall or install properly, not sure if I remember which. There were three choices. Not seeing this before and not knowing why it was showing up I just hit cancel. Everything seems fine but I just want to know what this was and what I was suppose to do so I will know for the next time. I have done a lot the last two weeks and could be confusing this with removing something else but am kinda sure it was Norton Internet Security. Hope some one else has seen this. Thanks Also it seems like it was something with windows as the remover looked like it was finished.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Uninstaller Norton Alert Box
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Uninstaller Norton Alert Box
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You are seeing the compatiblity prompt from Windows 7
by Donna Buenaventura / March 3, 2010 1:06 PM PST

I think you are seeing the prompt in Windows 7 asking if you the Norton Removal Utility worked or did not work. The dialog box will say something "This program worked", "Install using recommended settings" etc.
If so, that it a compatiblity prompt only on the program/tool/utility that you run in Windows 7. You should choose it is installed since it worked. Hopefully Microsoft will re-word it properly next time by saying "the program worked or did not work" instead of "install or did not install" since you are not installing anything.

Collapse -
Screenshot
by Donna Buenaventura / March 3, 2010 5:04 PM PST

You saw similar to this (screenshot)?
If so, that is the compatibility assistant in Windows 7. Just choose 'this program installed correctly' when you're done running Norton Removal Tool.

Collapse -
yes reword
by slybo / March 3, 2010 6:10 PM PST
In reply to: Screenshot

Thanks Donna, Yes I believe that was the box. And as you say it needs to be worded better. Since I was uninstalling norton and this came up I was confused why it was asking about installing when I was removing with the Norton Removal Tool. Hope this helps other people and thank you for clearing this up for me. Also I did not know what to do at the time and hit cancel in that box and everything seems to be working ok, which on one computer I installed Avast which is doing fine and is known to have problems if you do not get all of Norton off. So does cancel do as good as clicking on installed correctly? Next time I will click on installed correctly as you say. Thanks

Collapse -
You're welcome. Cancel is OK since you did not install
by Donna Buenaventura / March 4, 2010 7:16 AM PST
In reply to: yes reword

a program. Cancel option will not do affect how the removal tool was run, except Windows 7 "might" record in the "Problem Reports and Solution" utility that the said tool by Norton have compatibility issue.

Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!