Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Uninstalled HP Photosmart 7350

by michhala / April 5, 2005 12:53 PM PDT

It's a story.......:) In Southern CA we often have ant problems, particularly after a heavy rainy season. An ant colony, nourished by their queen, made their home in my 7350 printer. They could not be seen looking inside with the top and back covers off, but they entirely covered the metal bottom surface. The exterminator said he had never come across this before, and he showed me all the nests that were showing up on the outside which meant they were there to stay........so, I ran out to buy another HP -- the 2610 multifunction.

I was so eager to cleanly uninstall the 7350 program to make ready for the 2610 that I did not do it as HP recommended, which was with their CD.

What I did was to uninstall as usual -- using Add/Remove and then doing a Search for stray files. I removed every file I could related to HP, but they are still in the Recycle Bin just in case. A few I could not remove. I am a little nervous about removing all the system32\spool\drivers.

In HKLM\Software\Hewlitt Packard there remained following folders;

HP Memories Disk
HPDJ Printing System Configuration
HPZ
San Diego Shared IO

I was afraid to delete these registry files and permanently delete the other files (system32) before checking with a higher source.

Miki
Dell Dimension 8250
Pentium 4 2.66 GHZ
Windows XP (SP2)
512 MB RDRAM
80 GB 7200 Ultra ATA
AOL/DSL 9.0 Optimize

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Uninstalled HP Photosmart 7350
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Uninstalled HP Photosmart 7350
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Miki, So....Are You Having Problems Installing ....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 5, 2005 1:12 PM PDT

...the new printer? It's normally not required to use the CD to uninstall a printer. Generally, you can uninstall it from "Add/Remove Programs", restart the computer, then check to see if the printer still remains in the Control Panel/Printers and Faxes icon. Delete it if it's there, then install the new printer. If you're not having problems, then try installing your new one.

Assuming the new multifunction uses USB, make to follow the instructions EXACTLY when installing it.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Just worrying ahead of time.
by michhala / April 5, 2005 5:52 PM PDT

Grif --
I haven't opened the box of the new printer yet. My pest control tech was here Monday and found the underground source of the ants, but I am still seeing a few and don't want to put the new printer on my desk until I am sure they are gone.

Directions to use the HP CD to uninstall were on the website. I was so shook up by the trillions of ants that took over my desk that I did things backwards -- removed the printer icon from the Control Panel first and then did Add/Remove. The old printer is in the trash along with its new inhabitants.

The Add a Printer feature brings up the wizard and I guess I will know when I install the new printer if there is a problem. I wanted to clean out all the unnecessary software that came with the old HP before installing the new because the new one also has a lot.

I am concerned about all the HP files I am holding in the Recycle Bin and if any of them is an XP driver file that will be needed.

And then there is the FAX feature......When I check the Set up Faxing feature I get "Windows Files Protection" message "Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files. Insert Windows XP Home CD-ROM". This could be because when I did the reformat and reinstall in January I did not choose to reinstall the Dell V.92/56K Telephony Data/Fax/Voice Modem Software for Microsoft Windows......or this could be that the needed files will be on the new Printer/Fax/Scanner CD. I plan to use the FAX on the new printer as a standalone and not from computer to computer.

Thanks for your post, Grif.

Miki

Collapse -
Read the instructions that come with your new printer
by glb613 / April 5, 2005 8:09 PM PDT

I have an HP all-in-one and you need to install it exactly as witten. If you don't, it won't work. With most USB peripherals, you install the software first. When prompted, you plug it into the USB port.

I wouldn't worry about the other uninstall. If you really think you messed up, do a system restore to a day before you uninstalled the printer and start over.

Collapse -
Thank You, glb
by michhala / April 6, 2005 3:02 AM PDT

I will report back as soon as it is safe to install the new all-in-one.

Miki

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Let us know
by glb613 / April 6, 2005 7:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank You, glb
Collapse -
Miki, The New All-In-One Should Do It Automatically
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 6, 2005 8:21 AM PDT

Most of the newer printers will install all the software, place the printer icon in the "Printers" folder and install any FAX files needed.

Just make sure to read the directions BEFORE plugging anything in. The USB connections have certain requirements and the "order" of software installation and USB cable "plug-in" can be important. It's as simple as following the instructions correctly.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Woe is me!!!!
by michhala / April 6, 2005 8:48 PM PDT

Problems galore with the Windows Protection thing -- was on with HP tech from 11:30 PM until 2:30 AM. I was afraid he was going to corrupt my registry and another reformat would need to be done. We removed every file from the Registry that was HP or Hewlitt-Packard. Anyway it is installed. I installed this same all-in-one on my friend's HP computer without any problems. I was told to never uninstall HP from add/remove -- to always use the CD Utilities file, Level 4. I have uninstalled and reinstalled HP printers on my computers more times than I can remember using Add/Remove.

At this same time, I found I could not get online and thought it had something to do with the Fax using the same phone jack as the DSL.....but I still could not get online when it was removed. Now I see I am O.K. I had Fax before, but it was not connected to the same outlet

The ants are back.......and I am crazed Happy

Miki

Collapse -
Miki, It Sounds Like The New Printer Is Working???
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 7, 2005 4:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Woe is me!!!!

Good job...and hopefully, you know, there is a special dual-jack filter designed for connecting a DSL and FAX to the same wall jack. Personally, I try to avoid that type of dual jack, if I can. (CLICK HERE To See That Filter Type) Plugging the FAX/telephone wire into a different wall jack, with filter, usually works better with less interference.

And in regards to the ants, I sympathize..Although you are seeing the ants inside, they normally are coming from the outside areas around your house. If you're not against spraying for ants, try applying a small 6-8" band of antspray around the entire bottom edge of the outside your house where it touches the ground...In addition, spray the cracks and crevices on all connecting porches, sidewalks, and patios...It acts as a barrier to those ants trying to get in.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Printers, Ants, and Faxes :)
by michhala / April 7, 2005 7:24 AM PDT

Hi Grif -- Well....the printer is working, the scanner is working, but I am having a problem with the FAX. Tried to send several test FAX -- got the dial tone and what sounded like the beeps of a big truck when it backs out, but I never heard the receiving FAX machine recognize and respond with the FAX sound. The confirmation of message sent came back with "no answer"........but the recipients were home.

Although I do have filters on my phones, they are not really needed, I am told, because there is a splitter in the phone box in the garage. Since I have an alarm system and five phones, the phone company decided to go that route.

However, because I had the filters before the splitter and everything had been working well with the DSL, I never removed them.

When you say "there is a special dual-jack filter designed for connecting a DSL and FAX to the same wall jack, I did not "hopefully know" about it :). I will order one from the website you sent if I don't get to a local store first. Thank you for all that.

My standalone FAX was at the other end of the house and there was no problem -- I never did put a filter on it. I have given a lot of thought to both the DSL and FAX being together in the same jack.....but my computer room only has one phone jack. If it becomes necesary to put in another one to make things work, I will do so.

Thank you for being the helpful person you always are and being interested enough in my personal "Ant Farm" to offer me advice. I have a pest control service contract which includes regular spraying and such every other month and in between as needed. They were down on Monday; they were down this morning and worked in the room and under the house. Last night I finally covered my entire long computer desk with baking soda and inhaled all that poison for five hours. My gardener, who regularly attends seminars to keep up with chemical regulations as related to insecticides, is going to make me something similar to what you mention for the bottom of the house. These ants are not done with me yet methinks :).....but I am armed with Windex. I changed my ammuntion from Max Raid to Windex when the pest control folks told me Windex worked just as well and was better to be around. Did you see "My Big Fat Greek Wedding?" Happy

Miki

Collapse -
About to give up on this HP All-In-One 2610
by michhala / April 7, 2005 3:58 PM PDT

Grif --It seems I cannot send or receive FAXES. I need a triple-jack filter for connections from computer, modem, and all-in-one. The DSL filter on Excelsus has two outlets. Would I be able to plug that into one of the outlets in my triple jack, do you think?

HP says I cannot receive FAX because of my Verizon voice mail service, but it seems to me that voice mail has nothing to do with not being able to send. I do not have a dedicated FAX line, but according to the 2610 manual one is not needed. My old FAX worked well for me. If someone needed to FAX me, they called first. I connected the FAX and it was set to automatically pick up the incoming FAX on 1 ring. The voice mail picked up in 4 rings, so there was no conflict. I am supposed to have the option on the all-in-one to manually receive an incoming FAX. I FAX a lot, but receive very few incoming.

If I knew it would solve the problem of being unable to send and receive I would pay the $80 for Verizon to come out and put in another jack beside the existing one......but no one knows for sure.

What I dread the most (almost as much as the ants) is uninstalling the all-in-one. For my old HP 7350 and this new 2610, it is imperative that uninstalling be done using the HP CD utility file -- I uninstalled the 7350 using Add/Remove and manually deleted files that remained. It took 5 HP killer methods and more than two hours to eliminate most but not all of the files.

Miki

Collapse -
YIPPEE!!!!!!!
by michhala / April 7, 2005 6:52 PM PDT

'Tis true that it is always darkest before the dawn.

The all-in-one FAX is sending and receiving both automatically and manually. I did some settings experimenting and removed the filter between the splitter and the jack -- go figure!

I feel much bedda now --

Miki Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) LOL, Success Is Wonderful...Isn't It? Good Job !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 8, 2005 4:38 AM PDT
In reply to: YIPPEE!!!!!!!
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thank you, Grif - it does feel great indeed!
by michhala / April 8, 2005 4:45 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.