Question

uninstall windows 7 from broken computer

Hi,
I installed a retail version of W 7 on a Fujitsu which broke 6 months ago and cannot be restarted. Now I cannot activate the installation on my replacement computer and the support is less than useful, always referring back to an automated system. I transferred the HD from the old computer to the new but cannot see a way to uninstall the windows 7 from that disc. Trying help by telephone was impossible because of excruciating bad connection. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: uninstall windows 7 from broken computer
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: uninstall windows 7 from broken computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Re: uninstall Windows 7

You can't uninstall the OS. And you can't just transfer the hard disk.

What you should do: a clean install of Windows 7 from the disk. That will try to activate. It will be refused, because it's already activated on that other machine. So you will have to call Microsofts free activation-issues phone number, explain the situation and they will either remove the current activation from their database or give you a new license key that won't be refused.

The alternative is buying a new license, but that'snot what you bought the retail version for. If that was an upgrade version, however, it might be necessary, because it's doubtful if an upgrade version can be reused in a new machine.

Kees

- Collapse -
reinstall windows 7 on other computer with old one broken

Kees,
Thanks for your advice. I live in South Africa and when I try to reactivate the license over the telephone I get transferred to a person in a part of the world where the telephone connection used by MS is so bad that we cannot understand each other. I tried twice and it just did not work. I may try again but the frustration level is high as there apparently is not a local support available for this problem.

CNET Forums