Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

uninstall window at boot-up

by jonah jones / November 26, 2004 1:28 AM PST

after the desktop is up and the icons are all in place, the Wise Uninstall starts to run, i get a small 'eplorer' winder that is lookong for an uninstall log.....

i did a massive clean up of spy/adaware, ran spybot 4 times and as far as i can see the computer is clean, just this one small annoyance to get rid off....

any ideas?

jonah

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: uninstall window at boot-up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: uninstall window at boot-up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: uninstall window at boot-up
by TONI H / November 26, 2004 9:00 PM PST

Go to Start/RUN and type MSCONFIG (this won't work if you have W95 still), and look at the Startup tab first to see if the uninstaller/unwise box has a check mark in it. If so, uncheck it.

Now look at the autoexec.bat and config.sys tabs to see if it's located there and uncheck if you locate it.

Close MSCONFIG but cancel on the reboot for right now.

Go to Start/Programs/Startup folder and see if there is an item there for the uninstaller and right click and delete it. If it's not there, look in the Disabled Startup Items folder and delete it from there if it shows up.

Now reboot.....if the program window comes up again, before cancelling it out, press the CTRL-ALT keys and tap the DEL key to bring up the task monitor and it will show you which file name is actually starting up. Write it down, then click that file, click End Task and it will shut it down.

Either post it back here or go to Start/RUN and type REGEDIT and click My Computer at the top, click Edit, Find, type in the exact name that showed up in the task monitor, and click Find Now......

If a line shows up on the right hand side and you can identify that it is this particular filename and it is in fact the uninstaller/unwise program, look for the path that will be listed for it as well. It is probably a program that has been 'deleted' rather than 'uninstalled' by your spyware program, I would think, and you can right click and delete it from the registry. Then press the F3 key to have the registry keep looking for more entries, and delete them as you find them....but only if they are pointing to the path to programs you know for a fact are already gone. Otherwise you might be deleting uninstallers for programs you still have and want to keep which would make it hard to uninstall those programs later on successfully.

TONI

Collapse -
Re: thanks Toni
by jonah jones / November 27, 2004 2:47 AM PST

i took the computer back to the friend this evening, but i'll get back to him during the week and see what happens....

i'll let you know how it turns out Happy

jonah

Collapse -
You're welcome, jonah and
by TONI H / November 27, 2004 5:21 AM PST
In reply to: Re: thanks Toni

thanks for letting me know you will post the results.

TONI

Collapse -
Re: w95 msconfig
by reefurbb / November 27, 2004 8:06 PM PST

There is one for w95, a separate folder to run from as nothing is installed. It is small and doesn't have all the options of w98 msconfig but is good for "startup". If you want, I'll try to find it again or email you my copy???

Collapse -
Re: w95 msconfig
by Tufenuf / November 27, 2004 9:07 PM PST
In reply to: Re: w95 msconfig
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) thanks.... oops! i forgot to say win98SE
by jonah jones / November 28, 2004 12:37 AM PST
In reply to: Re: w95 msconfig
Collapse -
Re: 4 hours, blood sweat and tears
by jonah jones / December 1, 2004 2:34 AM PST

but i found it!!!

hi Toni....bottom line....it's fixed!

the last line in msconfig is/was:
GuruNetApplication C:\ADMIN\DRIVERS\SYSM9X\UNWISE.EXE
as soon as i saw that i went to explore/program files, saw that gurunet wasn't there and thought "that's the one".... it was!
unchecked the box, rebooted and voila! straight into desktop....

the longgggggg story is:
my friend is away for a few days, but, i still have his old HD....so, i thought why not bring his old disk up to date and try it on that? *big mistake* Sad

win98 saw my "modern" hardboard aand had to install drivers for practically everything....
most were in the win cab files on the HD, but a couple i had to go find the CD with the drivers (i'm not the most organised of people, did i mention that?)

downloaded spybot and adaware, (weird thing was, i had to run spybot 3 times before adaware would run all the way through)...

cleared up all the rubbish and the HD/98 is running sweet as honey!

so.... thanks Toni *i owe you one* Happy

jonah

Collapse -
Nope...I owed you, jonah
by TONI H / December 1, 2004 6:46 AM PST

you sent me that game for Derek, remember? It was taking me forever on dial up to get it downloaded and you hurried it right to me from around the other side of the world........

Glad I could help YOU out this time, hon.

TONI

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!