Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Uninstall Vista

by Foghorn1970 / November 16, 2008 2:46 AM PST

I installed vista on an older computer thinking it might solve my problems I had with XP, etc. It's worse. I want to uninstall it completely, reformat and start over. It won't let me reformat from the Command Prompt using Format C: and I can't get it to boot from the Windows Vista CD that should give you the option to format the drive. I've also tried to restore to the point prior to installing Vista, but the only restore point available is to the initial Vista install point, which doesn't fix my problem. I think I need a boot disk and then reformat somehow...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Uninstall Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Uninstall Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There's the thing to fix.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2008 2:48 AM PST
In reply to: Uninstall Vista

"I can't get it to boot from the Windows Vista CD"

Since we don't need that, what we could do is boot our XP CD. Vista has no true uninstall so skip that and use a tool like DBAN to wipe out the hard disks on this machine, boot our XP CD and restore from backup.

Collapse -
First thing you need.
by Kees Bakker / November 16, 2008 2:50 AM PST
In reply to: Uninstall Vista

Your original XP CD with the original license code. And, not to forget, all XP drivers and the installation media or programs of all your application programs/

Second thing you need: download DBAN (free) and get it working. This will totally erase the hard disk.

Those are the preparations. From now on, it's easy. Boot from the XP CD, partition and format the hard disk, install the drivers, install the application programs.

To boot from a CD: go into the BIOS setup and set it to boot from CD, if that isn't the current setting.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!