Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Uninstall VB4....how to?

by TONI H / September 20, 2004 8:29 PM PDT

I have a small program called Disappear that I've used successfully with W95/98/ME over the years that makes the desktop icon labels transparent. I now have XP Pro and attempted to install it and found that XP doesn't come with VB4 and the program requires it (it also doesn't bring a copy of it with the program itself). I had a copy of VB4 from long ago so I installed it separately...three files of which two had newer copies already in the system folder so I didn't overwrite them).

As it turns out, Disappear still doesn't work with XP so I uninstalled it....VB4 is still around though because it was a separate installation and it's not in the Add-Remove list and has no uninstaller.

The only problem I've found is that now when I burn a music cd from EZCD6, at the end when you are asked if you want to keep the program list and I normally click NO, I now get a window that there is an abnormal runtime error and the program closes. The cd burned is just fine as it finalized prior to this error window, but this has only happened since I installed VB4.

How do I get rid of it....or do I have to reinstall EZCD6 over the top of itself to correct this? It's not a problem other than being a PITA to have to re-open the program in order to continue to the next cd burning session. Or can I just go into the system folder and delete the VB4 runtime file that got put there?

TONI

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Uninstall VB4....how to?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Uninstall VB4....how to?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Uninstall VB4....how to?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2004 9:48 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: maybe here? (also a good site to bookmark)
by jonah jones / September 20, 2004 9:49 PM PDT
Collapse -
Evidently, I wasn't clear
by TONI H / September 20, 2004 10:18 PM PDT

I want to UNINSTALL VB40032.dll and it's small .dl_ archive file that are in the system32 folder and in the root directory.

VB4 doesn't show up in the Add-Remove Programs list and there is no uninstaller for it.

Would it be ok to just delete those two files and reboot the computer? I'm assuming that it is somehow interfering with other runtime files that XP or EZCD6 has installed that since I've only been getting the error message when EZCD6 completes a music cd burn since I never had that error window until I installed VB4.

TONI

Collapse -
Re: Evidently, I wasn't clear
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2004 11:40 PM PDT

I've deleted the files in the link provided before, but that was two years ago and I just can't recall why I had to do that.

No uninstall today I fear. Just the old ways...

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Uninstall VB4....how to?
by Mark5019 / September 20, 2004 11:49 PM PDT

wouldnt restore to day before work?

Collapse -
System Restore doesn't compare ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2004 11:56 PM PDT

SR doesn't delete stray files in the Windows directories.

I've tested that issue.

Bob

Collapse -
but it would remove all references to the files which
by Kiddpeat / September 21, 2004 7:56 AM PDT

could then be deleted with Win Explorer.

Collapse -
Toni, a note..
by radean / September 21, 2004 9:33 AM PDT

fwiw. For whatever reason, I have VB runtimes 4, 5, and 6 installed. Think maybe because there was a program or two, that wanted the older ones.
However, they have caused no problems at all on any programs that I have installed. I know this doesn't relate to the EZCD6 program you installed, but thought it worth mentioning.
By the way, since you are in most western part of Virginia, hope you made out OK with all the rains from Ivan.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.