Sound Card: 7.1 Channel
Ethernet Adapter: Intel 10/100/100 Gigabit

I have 3 Windows partitions and 2 linux partitions

C: (Windows XP) NTFS
E: (Windows Vista) NTFS
F: (Documents partition) NTFS

sda5 (?) - Ubuntu linux partition - ext3
sda6 (?) - linux swap

I am using the GRUB bootloader, which is stored on the sda5 Ubuntu partition. My question is how do I remove Ubuntu safely without damaging XP or Vista?

I've heard that all I have to do is boot the XP recovery console, use the FIXMBR and FIXBOOT commands and delete the linux partitions. Is this correct??

Thanx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Uninstall Ubuntu from XP Vista Ubuntu Triple Boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Uninstall Ubuntu from XP Vista Ubuntu Triple Boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In theory yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2007 10:41 AM PDT

But we always make a copy of what we can't lose before we commit to this.

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-legacy-faq.en.html#q12 notes the idea of uninstall is slightly incorrect and discusses how to install the new boot loader. However I'm working on just such a task right now and am on my 3rd disk clone trying to install and get the old Windows up and booting.

I'm getting a feeling I'm going to use G4U COPYDISK to copy the Windows Partition over soon onto a blank drive.

Bob

Collapse -
Ok, what worked here is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2007 10:46 PM PDT
In reply to: In theory yes.

I haven't removed grub yet on this setup. I'm wondering if this one is not normal so if someone writes to use FIXBOOT and such be assured I've done that and that resulted in a dead system (no boot of anything.) Even a boot to the (retail) Windows CD and a repair install didn't help.

To what I have so far and I can live with it.

I installed PCLINUXOS 2007 to some space on the drive I wanted to run on it's own. Then I set grub to default to my install of Windows.

Now this drive can boot without the second drive.

Bob

Collapse -
Any idea
by tubaloth / October 27, 2007 1:54 PM PDT

I'm in the same boat here. I build a new machine this Summer. I always planed on having some fun with one of the Linux versions (on played around with some of Red Hat before).
So I partitioned my drive to have 3 different parts.
I first installed XP (32) worked fine.
Then I installed Vista (64) and that has worked fine.
With this new Ubunto 7.10 I thought I would give it a try.
Took a couple of ties and it was up and running. But I can't get my Asus P5K-Delux WIFI to work. I have gone through different things to get it installed. Its more I don't want to hasell with it now.
The problem I have is this Grub. (trying to get back into XP which I use the most takes two steps now.)

SO what do I do. I am pretty sure Vista was the old Boot loader that was in charge. It sounds like I need to restore that first before I uninstall anything!?!
Any Help!!!!!!

Collapse -
That was quick
by tubaloth / October 27, 2007 2:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Any idea

After a little bit more searching, I saw some people suggest some Vista Boot loader Pro program (its free). There was an option to install the vista boot loader again. I tried that but it didn't work for me. (there might be some other uses for this program).
Then after a couple more jumps in web pages I found what the command is now for Vista to fix the MBR.
its bootrec /fixmbr

Boot of the Vista CD, Repair computer, Command Prompt. I typed that in. Its working fine now! (I guessing there is no way for me to even try to get into Ubunto.
Hope that helps!

Collapse -
The MS stuff
by tubaloth / October 27, 2007 2:11 PM PDT
In reply to: That was quick
Collapse -
maybe
by Dango517 / October 27, 2007 2:38 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?