General discussion

Uninstall programs?

This is probably a very simple task, but how do you uninstall programs on Mac OS X?!? I have the Macbook, and I can't seem to figure it out.
Help please!!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Uninstall programs?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Uninstall programs?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
There are two ways to do this.

The normal way is to go to the folder where your program is, usually Applications. Drag and drop it into the Trash. Empty the Trash.

It's gone.

The other way is to use a program like AppZapper. It works best if it is already installed when you install the program intitially. With that program you drag the application to the open AppZapper window and it removes all traces of the program.

Normally, when you delete a program from OS X, the only thing left are very small preference files, and such in a couple of locations. These won't affect the normal operation, nor will they take up much space at all, and can be left.

Some programs come with an uninstaller program. In that case click the Uninstall icon for that program, or the uninstall command in its menu.

- Collapse -
thanks!

Awesome, thank you for your help Happy

- Collapse -
Uninstall

I noticed as when when I first got my Macbook two years ago! I could not delete most files by just dragging the program to the trash.

There was a time that was all that was needed. Now, with the updated system, you do need a program like AppZapper, as mentioned, to remove all remnants of the program.

Before stumbling upon AppZapper, I tried to uninstall a program and it was not as simple as looking for all remnants of the program and then trashing them. It just did not work.

I found that not all of the "pieces" would allow deletion. Since AppZapper it's been a breeze.

Alan

- Collapse -
Nothing has changed

the advice given in the first reply is valid.
Not sure what "updated system" you are referring to, but dragging the application into the trash works very well with 10.6.4

Of course, the application has to be closed when you do that.

P

CNET Forums

Forum Info