Computer Help forum

General discussion

UNinstall-as3 firewall HELP Please

by DANNY101 / October 20, 2006 12:45 PM PDT

Hello, I have a 6 yr. old HP laptop Windows ME Exp. 6 on dial-up. without a firewall installed,and made the mistake of downloading the AS3 Personal Firewall- without going into all the problems/crashes it caused,I need to know how to uninstall it. On programs there was a uninstall box. (I'm a novice about pc's) I clicked on it and all it did was remove the uninstall feature! It no longer appears in PROGRAMS or ADD/REMOVE programs. They have a good trick. Now it is in Pause mode,alive and well but in pause I am able to send this message-I can't turn it on to contact the site,for it will crash opening the program! I ran as3 in search,and it appears there in 3 forms-but since it may have attached itself to other app.'s I left it alone. Can anybody help? Maybe a DOS command in the run box that will bring back the uninstall? Thanks for any ideas. Dan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UNinstall-as3 firewall HELP Please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UNinstall-as3 firewall HELP Please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Uninstall..................
by Earthquake McGoon / October 21, 2006 4:41 AM PDT

Go back to ''search'' and get those three examples of as-3.
Right-click on each of them in turn and choose ''delete''.
THis will remove them from your computer. Then, just to be sure, go to ''start'', ''run'' and enter ''msconfig''. Choose ''start-up" and look through the list for anything that might be from the as3 website, or the name ''as3''. Right-click on any you find and select ''delete''. This will keep it from re-loading when you re-start your PC.

Collapse -
uninstall as3
by DANNY101 / October 21, 2006 12:03 PM PDT

Thank you for your help, I considered that method,but thought there was a chance that it may have attached "pieces" to other programs,etc. that may really start a domino effect of problems.
If that is safe-I'll give it a try. Good Evening,Dan

Collapse -
uninstall
by DANNY101 / October 21, 2006 12:16 PM PDT

Oh, I meant to ask, in Start-up (msconfig) you said delete by rt. click-did you mean uncheck box-apply-and cleanup,Or ignore cleanup? Delete on ME was not a listed option. Thanks again,Dan

Collapse -
uninstall...........
by Earthquake McGoon / October 21, 2006 2:11 PM PDT
In reply to: uninstall

My fault!
You are perfectly correct, "delete" is not an option! If
everything worked out for you, great!

P.S. I'm also "Dan" in real life, or is THIS real life?
Oh, well, carry on!

Collapse -
Uninstall-MODERATOR Take a look please
by DANNY101 / October 21, 2006 2:22 PM PDT
In reply to: uninstall...........

Hi Dan, I did not yet try it till I felt safe in deleting from the search area. Do I just uncheck the box,ignore the cleanup function?
BUT, This is the interesting thing about as3fp program-Not only does the uninstall not work/it just "hides" from the programs,but when I checked the properties of the download,2 of the small files like shortcut key and another (both 2-5kb's) showed the correct install of 10/20/2006. The main application,less the help guide(that did uninstall) showed the install of 1/18/2006. Not a typo-January! Apparently they felt that someone may want to do a "Restore" to a day before or so and that was covered too! Interesting isn't it? Enjoy the weekend, Dan B.

Collapse -
uninstall...........
by Earthquake McGoon / October 21, 2006 2:28 PM PDT

Here is a message I copied from the "Computer Newbies"
forum. It is excellent and should help you a lot.

How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs

The instructions below were originally written for Windows 9.x/ME, but much can be used for Windows XP as well:

Try this: Restart your computer. Wait for it to load completely then, right click on My Computer, choose "Properties", then the "Performance" tab. The System Resources should be at about 90% or more at startup.(Mine starts at 93%) Most new computers have all sorts of programs running that don't need to be. So let's fix it. Click on Start-Programs-Start Up. If there are any listings in the Start Up area, you need to delete as many as you can.(Right click the listing and choose "Delete")(Find Fast, if its there, is one you will probably never need) Please remember that these are just shortcuts to programs and not actual program files, so its safe to delete them. Don't get rid of some that you really like like Microsoft Shortcut Bar or any others that you really want on the screen when it starts.

Then click on Start-Run, in the typing area put "msconfig" (without the quotes), press Ok. When the System Configuration Utiltiy box opens, click on the Start Up tab. You will see a number of listings with boxes and check marks in them. These are programs that run at start up. You can safely uncheck many of the boxes. Don't uncheck System Tray, Scan Registry, or your Virus Scan startup programs. After you?re done, click ?Apply?, then 0K, and the computer will ask you to restart. Do it and then check your resources again. Hopefully they are much higher.(Don't worry too much, if you make a mistake you can always go back to this box and put a check back in any of the listings you want)

If you have any questions about which programs to UNCHECK in "msconfig", post back, or check for yourself at these sites: "http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php" or here?s the direct link to the list: ?http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php? . At the first link, which is probably the most comprehensive, wait for the page to load completely, then scroll down to the "The Programs" section and click on the "Full List" link. You should be able to find most programs you have questions about.

On Windows 2000 and XP, it's also important to check for unnecessary "Services" that run at start up. Shut them down and the computer should run smoother. Check these links for the "How To":

Windows 2000 and XP
http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm

Windows XP
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Windows 2000
http://www.blackviper.com/WIN2K/servicecfg.htm

Hope this helps.

Grif

Posted by: Grif Thomas Moderator (see profile) - 05/06/2004 6:06 PM
In reply to: A Few 'Tips' For Computer Newbies by Grif Thomas Moderator

Collapse -
reply/uninstall
by DANNY101 / October 21, 2006 6:38 PM PDT
In reply to: uninstall...........

Dan,Thanks for info.,now I'm really just going to leave it alone!!

Collapse -
Some info
by TONI H / October 21, 2006 8:55 PM PDT

I went to the author's website to check out their support or FAQ pages, and found there is nothing at their site other than a 'contact us' link. The only help I guess you get is by direct contact, which could take days getting a response if you ever even hear from them...or you have to use the built in help feature of the program itself, which you state is gone now that you've used the Add-Remove Programs list that only uninstalled the uninstaller for the program and took the help file right along with that.

I have a couple of suggestions....and they all begin with reinstalling the program again right over the top of itself so everything is visible again. If you have the original downloaded .exe file, that can be done quickly. Otherwise you will have to download that file again. Here's a link to the author's site to get it: http://www.software4u.tk/

Once you have it reinstalled, go to the Start/Programs list and look for the AS3 link and see if there is the uninstaller listed there and use the program's own uninstaller to get rid of it since the only thing Add-Remove Programs lets you do is uninstall that uninstaller. If the uninstall file isn't in the Start/Programs list, open Windows Explorer and look for it in there. It could be listed as a separate AS3 folder under the C: or it could be under Program Files. The folder could also be listed under the author's site name of Software4U or Soft4U with the AS3 folder inside of it.

Some programs also will put the uninstaller for itself inside the TEMP folder...either under C: or C:/Windows or inside the Uninstall Information folder that Windows provides or even inside the C:/Windows or C:/Windows/System32 folder itself as a separate file only called UNWISE.EXE

Since many programs use the UNWISE.EXE file you won't know which program that file will go to if it's inside the C:/Windows or C:/Windows/System32 folder, so right click each one you find and look at the properties of each one....if the date of the install matches today's date and AS3 is the only program installed by you with today's date, it's a good bet that the UNWISE.EXE file located there is the one you want. It's kind of a shot in the dark, but once you click it, you should get a program identification window to show up that will give you the information you need to know, and if the program window isn't for AS3, you can cancel the uninstall and try another UNWISE.EXE file instead.

Another method you can try is to use the MS Clean Up Tool....it will normally uninstall and remove all remnants of programs listed in the Add-Remove Programs List. However, it may only succeed in removing the uninstaller again since the actual program doesn't seem to uninstall from there, but it's worth a shot as a last resort. It can be downloaded for free from the MS site here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

Windows Installer Cleanup Utility can be downloaded from the above link and it will remove installed programs that can't be uninstalled from the Add-Remove Programs List because you don't have the cd anymore or because the program itself can't locate its uninstall file info.

That statement came from the MS Site itself, so perhaps it actually CAN uninstall the program for you once it's back reinstalled.

Let us know how you make out....did you happen to get this file from our CNET downloads.com site? If so, and if this program doesn't come with an uninstaller that is obvious and is a pain to try to uninstall (which appears to be the case here), let us know. I will make a complaint directly to our downloads.com area so a disclaimer can be put into the reviews for others to be aware of. You would be doing others a real service. I hate programmers who attempt to dominate a system......

TONI

Collapse -
Info
by DANNY101 / October 22, 2006 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Some info

Thank You Toni, I believe I got the intiial info. from the CNET site (not certain),the download was linked to HIPPO. I will leave it in the pause position for now and have a friend who is knowledgeable about PC's take a look and use the info provided by Dan and yourself to solve this issue. Fortunately,I have a back-up PC and did E-mail the providers site. Thanks so much!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?