Computer Help forum

General discussion

Unidentified processes that slow down shutdown

When shutting down my PC I often get a prompt to end one or more processes with odd names that are slow to close. One of these processes is called....wait for it...

"f+DGLJWCJZEB329KONZG+A24" !!

There's no mention of this process in the task manager processes list so what on earth is it? Is it a windows process?

Please help identify.

I'm running Windows xp media center 2005 on an HP media center M7021 Pc.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unidentified processes that slow down shutdown
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unidentified processes that slow down shutdown
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
blahblahetc

In reply to: Unidentified processes that slow down shutdown

I don't know what that is,have you run any anti virus and/or anti spyware scans.

Tom

Collapse -
ssssss

In reply to: blahblahetc

Why do these boards require you to fill in the Subject Title field when you're replying to an existing post? So unnecessary.

Anyway..yes..I have tried every virus scanner going including pccillin, the online scan version of which does sometimes tell me I have "Adware-Bestoffers" present but it hangs before I can do anything about it. I have no confidence in virus scanners anymore...they seem to throw up spurious results depending on the day of the week.

Thanks for replying. Any help would be appreciated.

Collapse -
About subject title.

In reply to: ssssss

Depending on the view the subject title may be all that a person sees. It's up to you to enter a good title to attract people that will think "Hey I know the answer."

Bob

Collapse -
About subject title.

In reply to: About subject title.

Which is all the more reason why the title field should be filled in automatically with the subject of the thread. Then I can decide if my reply requires a new heading for myself. Just seems odd that's all. This is the first forum I've come across that doesn't do this. Anyway..thanks for your input.

Collapse -
That happened before and..

In reply to: About subject title.

The titles all began with Re: Re: etc.

It's a free forum and if you don't like this, maybe some other forum will do that better. There are no paid helpers and you are the person that sets the tone and attracts good or lame responses.

Hope this helps you understand why a good title is a good idea.

Bob

Collapse -
Chill or get a life

In reply to: That happened before and..

People are allowed to express an opinion. That's the nature of a F.O.R.U.M. If you can't handle that..go post an angry weblog somewhere where you can rant away at the world without hearing anyone talk back.

And besides..judging by your irrelevant response (I wasn't arguing against good titles) , you seem to lack the necessary comprehension skills for debate.

In other words..I already rue the time wasted to post this reply !

Collapse -
Hope it explained it for you.

In reply to: Chill or get a life

Now back to our schedule...

Bob

Collapse -
download and run hijack this.

In reply to: Unidentified processes that slow down shutdown

Collapse -
Hijack this

In reply to: download and run hijack this.

yeah..thanks..looks like I might have to do that.

To add to my concerns there's something odd going on with my keyboard now. Lke i somebody is pressing the insert key sa I type..s

see wath I mean?

Collapse -
But, Please, DO NOT postr the

In reply to: Hijack this

hijack files in these forums. Use the links provided from the hijack forums.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!