Video Games & Consoles forum

Question

"Unicorn" and "explosion" games

by TECHnicallyConfused / June 11, 2013 4:37 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Unicorn" and "explosion" games
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Unicorn" and "explosion" games
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Given that last title I looked at.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2013 7:11 AM PDT

I wonder if it was again one of those titles we discussed over the past week and in short was not ready for folk to download and game?

Even I felt I was either lucky or pulling from my days of programming (skillz?) to hack together that Ib game you mentioned.

Did you get Ib running? If not, I think you need to get that working first before we tackle another.

Also, what are the authors saying to you about this?
Bob

Collapse -
Completely Different
by TECHnicallyConfused / June 11, 2013 8:44 AM PDT

These games, all you have to do is download the games, find them in their folders and play them. Simple as that. They were playing for me until about a week ago. Now when i open them up, they're just blank screens and the game doesn't start. The authors can't help me with this problem. (At least, the ones I can get in contact with)

Collapse -
As I did help withthe Ib item.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2013 9:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Completely Different

And it came down to poor instructions on their and my part I will go try ONE of those and report back. The guinea pig machine is thankfully handy.
Bob

Collapse -
Ok, installed the first one
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2013 9:53 AM PDT

And it runs but asks for some code to activate. So that worked for me. I did have to find its home folder to see where it's game.exe was to run it again but it looks fine.

You've posted a lot but have ignored the words in red time and time again. Your choice on that.
Bob

Collapse -
Clarification
by TECHnicallyConfused / June 11, 2013 4:35 PM PDT

Was it Hetaoni that you downloaded?

Collapse -
I think it was the first one. Pianodream.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2013 12:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Clarification

Here's the words in red that you may have missed while posting.
"Please read before posting

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended."

You could be using some older PC with a 486 with a XP that has no patches for all I know. The office has this guinea pig laptop which is this one -> http://www.cnet.com/laptops/asus-vivobook-x202e-dh31t/4505-3121_7-35530760.html

That's not a high end machine and the few games I tried didn't seem to stress this at all.

As it stands, it's either you as a newer user of Windows or your computer.

I worry that you are new to PCs as you seemed to struggle to find folders and files.
Bob

Collapse -
I can find files without any problems
by TECHnicallyConfused / June 12, 2013 3:39 AM PDT

The problem is that when i open up the shortcut for the game, the window pops up but it never goes to the title screen. It just sits there in black. People have had discussions with pianodream about trying to fix there game, but she said that she would have to hack into our computers to do it, I'd rather not do that. I have an HP 2000 notebook PC that has Windows 8. My model number is: C2M44UA#ABA

Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2013 3:51 AM PDT
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03499318

That's pretty close to that guinea pig laptop I used to try this out.

HOWEVER the laptop I used is pretty stock. I'm left to guess if you installed something to break this.

Sorry, but the clues are just not here. It seems it should work but does not.

What is this about a hack? Most of those support folk just need to use remote access to look around. Even here you get to tell all since no one here will do remote access.

Bob
Collapse -
I think you may be right.
by TECHnicallyConfused / June 13, 2013 11:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Link, comment.

I think it may have been something that i've downloaded. I h ave no idea what it could be, but there's no other reason for those games to not be working. I would refresh my computer, but I just have too many things on here.

Collapse -
Ib
by TECHnicallyConfused / June 11, 2013 8:45 AM PDT

And I still couldn't get Ib running.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Good News
by TECHnicallyConfused / June 18, 2013 1:57 PM PDT

So I went away for a week, and I came back to find that all of my applications work again. Weird.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.