Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Ungrateful Canadians!!

by William Finder / December 1, 2004 4:53 AM PST

We send Dubya to Canada and they have the audacity to return him! Go figure!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ungrateful Canadians!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ungrateful Canadians!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dammit! ! !
by Dan McC / December 1, 2004 5:01 AM PST
In reply to: Ungrateful Canadians!!

Did we forget to call 'No Backsies' again? ? ?

Dan

Collapse -
Re: Ungrateful Canadians!!
by MKay / December 1, 2004 5:19 AM PST

This made my day. Thank you. Happy

Collapse -
by Josh K / December 1, 2004 5:29 AM PST

LOL, right after he crossed the border, all 280 million of us should have packed our stuff and moved and not left a note.

Collapse -
Ummm, isn't that in the neighborhood of 50 million? Don't
by Kiddpeat / December 1, 2004 6:36 AM PST

let the door bang your b*tt on the way out. Devil

Collapse -
by Rolway / December 1, 2004 6:57 AM PST

Moved Where??? To Canada? Not in a million years.

Collapse -
Why?
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / December 2, 2004 6:41 AM PST

If it wasn't for the weather I would have nothing against it! I would even be able to pick up the little French that I once knew...

Collapse -
Why let the weather stop you?
by Evie / December 2, 2004 6:53 AM PST
In reply to: Why?

Ask Rob, it's not at all that much different in Toronto for example than Brooklyn!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I may not be in Bklyn anymore, honey...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / December 2, 2004 10:50 AM PST
Collapse -
You are either still in NYC ...
by Evie / December 2, 2004 8:16 PM PST

... or you are a liar. And you know full well not to address me or any other women on this forum as "honey". Which borough is of no interest to me. The climate of Toronto awaits!

Collapse -
Jeez guys, lighten up
by Ziks511 / December 3, 2004 12:51 PM PST

I'm not sure I would really reccommend a Toronto winter. There are worse places both in Canada and the United States. I suspect Chicago winters are as bad or maybe slightly worse.

In Canada the legendary place to go is the corner of Portage and Main in downtown Winnipeg, Manitoba. With below zero F. temperatures and a windchill that could freeze a penguin and strip all its feathers too, its supposed to be brutal. And St. John's Newfoundland isn't helped by the moderating effect of the Atlantic, probably because it's got an Arctic current running just offshore and an onshore breeze that is better classed as a gale.

I gather that Minnesota and North Dakota are no picnic either, or Nebraska and Wyoming. Actually if I was to reccommend a place for winter weather I'd probably reccommend southern England where it hardly reaches 0 degrees Celsius, and feels "soft" even when cold.

Its one of the things I miss about Maryland actually, winters were pretty nice. But with luck we'll have a picture postcard Christmas here and I'm hoping for a snowy winter which usually means its a little milder than usual.

There are compromises one makes for living here. Taxes are higher, book prices are higher, Cds are more expensive but its still awfully good so we'll suffer this winter or go visit family if it gets nasty.

Rob Boyter

Collapse -
Re: Jeez guys, lighten up
by Evie / December 3, 2004 9:41 PM PST
In reply to: Jeez guys, lighten up

Charlie said: "If it wasn't for the weather I would have nothing against it!"

I merely point out to him that the climate is not all that different from what he is used to where he lives. What with paying more taxes and a more friendly political environment, it would practically be paradise for him! Wink

Collapse -
Nah, Chicago winters have been a disappointment for
by Kiddpeat / December 4, 2004 11:27 AM PST
In reply to: Jeez guys, lighten up

several years. A little snow, a little cold, and that's about it. As you know, we've really got to focus on making the world a colder place. I'm all for it! I love the cold.

Collapse -
Re: Why?
by Rolway / December 2, 2004 7:37 AM PST

Too cold, Too snowy, the language and metric system sucks up there. Plus, well I won't get into that.]:) Yeah, you might pick up that French that you once knew Charlie. Lot of them up there.

Personally, I prefer those Spanish Senoritas.

George

Collapse -
Oh, and about the French language.
by Ziks511 / December 3, 2004 1:10 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Why?

Quebec French is not exactly Parisian, or even Northern France french. It's more like an extreme dialect of Norman French for those of you who have visited Normandy. Its fast, idiomatic, and heavily accented into almost a drawl, to the point of incomprehensibility, and I say this as someone who got along fine in France other than in the Midi (i.e. the South of France where one also needs a translator). However if you make an effort and if you indicate you are an American, you'll probably do OK.

However outside Quebec and truthfully inside Quebec if you're nice to them, you can get along fine in english. I'm curious as to what you mean by the language sucks up here. French is an issue in only 2 provinces (the second is New Brunswick and they are bilingual for the most part). Although the metric system is official you can still buy things in pounds and feet. I assume that the "plus" is politics but you might find you enjoyed Canadian politics. There are lots of people on the right up here, they run the province of Alberta, used to run Ontario and B.C.

Try it, you might like it. If you don't like hard winters try BC, that's British Columbia, which has a good climate on the coast if you don't mind rain.

Rob Boyter. in the land of the free and the home of the frostbitten.

Oh, yeah. You know how our constitution starts with "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness"?

Up here the British North America Act comes down resoundingly for "Peace, Order, and Good Government". No wonder they're not afraid of government up here, its in their damned Constitution/Founding Document.

Collapse -
Re: Oh, and about the....
by Rolway / December 4, 2004 1:30 AM PST

What I meant by "the language sucks up there" is, it drives me crazy trying to hold a conversation with some canadians that continually say..Ayeyup, Ayeyup. the blues are running, Ayeyup. More an accent problem I guess than the language. But I guess I bug them just as much too with my versions of the english language.:)

Tell me something Rob. Out of curiosity and you appear to have tremendous knowledge of Canadian Government, Customs and Friendlyness toward the USA. Why did the residents or town government of Nelson, Canada just recently consider building a monument to honor US Draft Dodgers and Cowards of the Vietnam era. who where given haven up there. It certainly caused great dissension and anger toward Canada by all the major Veteran organizations here in the US. To such an extent, the town of Nelson shelved the idea. That to me is Canada lighting a fuse to disrupt relationships with the USA. I would definitely keep a close eye on what goes on up there.

George

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) So spend next summer there.
by Roger NC / December 2, 2004 8:05 AM PST
Collapse -
I may as well do that...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / December 2, 2004 1:02 PM PST

Unless I go to Madrid, Barcelona, Arizona, Upstate NY, Sweden, New Orleans, Mexico, Cuba, Florida, Texas or M

Collapse -
Shrug
by Roger NC / December 3, 2004 5:51 AM PST

Just a suggestion to help.

You said you might like to go if not for the weather I believe? perhaps I mis-interpreted but I took it to mean cold weather?

RogerNC

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What's the suggestion to help?
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / December 3, 2004 6:37 AM PST
In reply to: Shrug
Collapse -
To rehash the sequence of comments/suggestions.
by Roger NC / December 3, 2004 6:58 AM PST

G. Rolway-

Moved Where??? To Canada? Not in a million years.

Charlie-

If it wasn't for the weather I would have nothing against it! I would even be able to pick up the little French that I once knew...

Roger-

(NT) So spend next summer there.

Charlie-

I may as well do that...

Unless I go to Madrid, Barcelona, Arizona, Upstate NY, Sweden, New Orleans, Mexico, Cuba, Florida, Texas or M

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I might as well do it...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / December 3, 2004 1:53 PM PST
Collapse -
Funniest sequence I've read on the forum so far.
by Ziks511 / December 1, 2004 6:44 AM PST

Thanks guys.

I was going to suggest he might like being premier of Hewfondland, certainly they have the humor to tolerate him and he could have fun trying to figure out what they're saying.

Rob Boyter

Collapse -
Re: Funniest sequence I've read on the forum so far.
by Hounddog / December 1, 2004 8:48 AM PST

Here's a newfoundlander that would like to tell you what he thinks of you @$%$##@#$% but it would be deleted

Collapse -
Profoundest apologies Hounddog. But you must admit
by Ziks511 / December 2, 2004 8:49 AM PST

he wouldn't have much success pulling the wool over anyones eyes in Nesfoundland. But I withdraw the suggestion unreservedly you have enough to contend with.

Rob Boyter

See America, there's a typical non-Canadian born mistake. Should have known better.

Collapse -
Re: Profoundest apologies Hounddog. But you must admit
by Hounddog / December 4, 2004 1:13 AM PST

Guess i'd better keep cool on this thread or it also will be deleted.
Profoundest apologies Hounddog. But you must admit he wouldn't have much success pulling the wool over anyones eyes in Nesfoundland. But I withdraw the suggestion "unreservedly you have enough to contend with."

Rob Boyter

See America, there's a typical non-Canadian born mistake. Should have known better.

Posted by: Ziks511 Posted on: 12/02/2004 4:49 PM

SEE AMERICA,It's dirty digs and remarks from the draft dodgers and misfits from the usa still living here that makes it hard to LOVE americans.

Collapse -
by cbbrown / December 1, 2004 7:29 AM PST

i'm all for kissing the **** of nations whose majority DESPISE our "foreign policy" if not our "elected" leader.

smooth move carl rove

Collapse -
I'm sure there are endless possibilities to fulfill your
by Kiddpeat / December 1, 2004 9:31 AM PST

ambition. I'm sure you'll understand that most Americans don't share the sentiment. They'ld rather kick it than kiss it.

Collapse -
Re: I'm sure there are endless possibilities to fulfill your
by cbbrown / December 2, 2004 10:03 AM PST

reread my post

i was being TOTALLY facetious

"I'm sure there are endless possibilities to fulfill your ambition."

i have no ambition other than to show your president for what he is

an IDIOT led around by the nose by neocons who will RUIN MY homeland

Collapse -
We don't despise anything about the US
by Ziks511 / December 3, 2004 1:21 PM PST

if I may speak for my adopted home. But as a sovereign nation we are allowed to disagree with elements of your foreign policy and not ask permission first. Canadians love Americans as individuals but are a bit worried by them as a group. And the expected uproar here was a minor protest, it hardly made an impression on George.

I must say I do appreciate his going to Halifax to thank them for their support for all the stranded Americans at the time of 9/11. He could/should have visited St. John's Newfoundland as well since there were so many stranded there that they ran out of hotel rooms and many were taken in by the local citizenry. If ;you want to think about Canada, remember that, that we were happy and ready to help when the US needed it. And in Afghanistan too.

Rob Boyter

Collapse -
by John Robie / December 1, 2004 7:38 AM PST

I would think he would be returned in good condition after getting on their case about harboring a couple AWOL soldiers (carryover from Nam draft dodgers), and not joining us in providing troops/support in Iraq. I had always thought Canada was our best supporters like Britain has been. Shame on you politicians in Canada.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!