General discussion

Unexplained High Download Volume

Last couple of days have had some huge levels of downloads - our ISP informs us we have use nearly 8G in two days - where as in the last 12 months we have never gone beyond 25G in a whole month. We can't figure it out if there is something wrong at our end or with what the ISP is charging us. We have only been using the system as per normal with visits to facebook, emails and MSN Messenger... Even turning the modem/wifi off at the power to make sure.... No time spent on gaming sites or downloading movies or upgrades etc. Any suggestions? Our ISP couldn't or should I say wouldn't help us.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Unexplained High Download Volume
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Unexplained High Download Volume
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Things to check

Malware and P2P use.

You don't mention what anti-malware you use, so I would suggest you perform a full check with your anti-virus scanner, then download, install, run and update, then scan with the following two anti-malware scanners;

Malwarebytes' Anti-malware, and SUPERAntispyware.

You mention "We", so are you sure no-one else has installed any P2P, (Peer to Peer), software like Limewire, or are using file sharing torrent sites like bitTorrent or uTorrent?

Mark

- Collapse -
Wifi?

Also are you using Wireless? If so make sure it is Protected, it could be someone taking your connection. I would use WPA-2 if your router has that. You can also check on most router to see what computers are connected.

CNET Forums

Forum Info